Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Newcomers Forum

Newcomers Forum Forum for newcomers to the mystery of Jack the Ripper and/or JTRForums.com

Old September 12th, 2015, 05:22 PM   #1
Emanuele Cianto

Post "Jack the Ripper at Last?: The mysterious murders of George Chapman"

Hi all,

Has anyone read Helena Woijtczak's book "Jack the Ripper at Last?: The mysterious murders of George Chapman"? What about this?
Thank you all.

Emanuele
Emanuele Cianto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #2
Anna Morris

I have not read the book. I don't think Chapman/Kozlowski was the Ripper. He ended up primarily a sadistic poisoner. That is a very different MO (modus operandi, method of operation) from the Ripper.

My big objection to any man similar to Koslowski is that I think if a decidedly foreign immigrant man was seeking out or chatting up women in areas and at times close to the murders, there would have been a general talk among women that a man such as this was acting odd. It would have been so easy to insist the Ripper was not a proper, decent Englishman. I have always felt the murderer had to have appeared to be a regular British citizen whose first language was English.

Those are my opinions. Other people believe otherwise. Please understand that many of us have opinions yet the case is still unsolved. We have a lot of great authors and researchers on this forum.

I have researched JtR for about 40 years, but did not have the internet until recently. I am a journalist but have not written about the Ripper. I have always felt a journalist could put it all together and figure it out. At this time I am in awe of the many great writers and researchers that know so much more than me.

I have a lot of opinions and can defend why I think certain things. I enjoy writing and replying to your questions, but please remember I am one of many and few of us agree on much.
Old September 12th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #3
Dusty Miller
just curious

Hello Emanuele,

The key to what Helena's book is about is in the question mark.
"Jack The Ripper At Last?".

It's an incredibly well researched book on the man in the title and why he wasn't jtr. Given the sheer depth of scholarly research that has gone into it, I highly recommend it.
Old September 13th, 2015, 07:16 AM   #4
Emanuele Cianto

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
Hello Emanuele,

The key to what Helena's book is about is in the question mark.
"Jack The Ripper At Last?".

It's an incredibly well researched book on the man in the title and why he wasn't jtr. Given the sheer depth of scholarly research that has gone into it, I highly recommend it.
Hi Dusty,

Thank you very much.
I would like to buy the book but it hasn't been edited in Italy. I would like to use it to exclude/include Chapman/Klosowski from our list of JtR suspects, 'cause in my mind he is a very likely JtR.

Yr,
Em
Old September 13th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #5
Phillip Walton
Researcher

Yes I agree, Helena's book is an excellent book on the subject and she concludes that he wasn't JTR. What makes this book stand out is that Helena started with the premise 'Lets look at the facts and see if he could be the Ripper.' rather than as some recent Ripper authors have done as in 'I've decided XXXX is the Ripper and I'm going to make the facts fit my theory and reject those that don't fit.'
Phillip Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 03:58 PM   #6
Emanuele Cianto

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Walton View Post
Yes I agree, Helena's book is an excellent book on the subject and she concludes that he wasn't JTR. What makes this book stand out is that Helena started with the premise 'Lets look at the facts and see if he could be the Ripper.' rather than as some recent Ripper authors have done as in 'I've decided XXXX is the Ripper and I'm going to make the facts fit my theory and reject those that don't fit.'
Hi Phil,

Than you for commenting.

So, I would like to know is if it is defenitive proven he wasn't the Ripper. I'm going to buy the book and try to read it in English....
Old September 13th, 2015, 04:12 PM   #7
Chris G.
Editor,Ripperologist Magazine

Hi Emanuele

Helena Woijtczak's book Jack the Ripper at Last? The Mysterious Murders of George Chapman is highly recommended. Good luck in reading it in English... I believe it will be worth the effort. She sets out the case more that Chapman was not the Ripper. If you want an author who makes the case for Chapman being the Ripper and the torso murderer as well you might seek out the books of R. Michael Gordon. Ms Woijtczak is better than Mr Gordon to sticking at the facts and discounting misinformation about Chapman, of which there is an over-abundance, and which Mr Gordon has a habit of accepting at face value which realistically does not help his case for Chapman if the information is not true.

The trouble with Chapman, as it is with Neill Cream, is that their poison murders are so different in nature to the Ripper crimes. It seems unlikely, at least to myself and to others, that Chapman could have been responsible for both the murders of his common-law wives by means of poison and the murder of prostitutes in the East End. He appears to have been a domestic murderer, for gain, rather than the serial street killer and mutilator of prostitutes in crimes that would seem to more have a lust murder aspect.

Best regards

Chris
http://www.ripperologist.biz
http://blog.casebook.org/chrisgeorge
For info about RipperCon, in Baltimore, MD,
April 8-10, 2016, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 03:13 PM   #8
Emanuele Cianto

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G. View Post
Hi Emanuele

Helena Woijtczak's book Jack the Ripper at Last? The Mysterious Murders of George Chapman is highly recommended. Good luck in reading it in English... I believe it will be worth the effort. She sets out the case more that Chapman was not the Ripper. If you want an author who makes the case for Chapman being the Ripper and the torso murderer as well you might seek out the books of R. Michael Gordon. Ms Woijtczak is better than Mr Gordon to sticking at the facts and discounting misinformation about Chapman, of which there is an over-abundance, and which Mr Gordon has a habit of accepting at face value which realistically does not help his case for Chapman if the information is not true.

The trouble with Chapman, as it is with Neill Cream, is that their poison murders are so different in nature to the Ripper crimes. It seems unlikely, at least to myself and to others, that Chapman could have been responsible for both the murders of his common-law wives by means of poison and the murder of prostitutes in the East End. He appears to have been a domestic murderer, for gain, rather than the serial street killer and mutilator of prostitutes in crimes that would seem to more have a lust murder aspect.

Best regards

Chris
Hi Chris,

Is there some other point we can use to roule Chapman out of the list? I mean in Ripperology world. That's the only one I know: his poison murders. Apart from that: he matches all the eyewitnesses descriptions; he matches the Ripper's anatomical knowledge; he matches even the timeline: he arrives in England sometime before the murders begin and he leaves when the murders stop and go to America, where another series of murders in Ripper-style begins...

Regards,
Em
Old September 14th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #9
Anna Morris

When doing research it is real easy to say this or that fact fits some idea or other. Problem is~and I do it frequently~that things that seem special really are not.

LOTS of men in the East End looked like Chapman. LOTS of such men moved in and out around that time. We also know there were all too many men in the area who were capable of killing and harming women.

My big objection to Chapman remains, English was not his first language and though Jack was reputed to look "foreign" we don't have a tradition that he spoke like a recent immigrant.

Also, though serial killers can change their ways of doing things, if Chapman pretty much started out cutting up prostitutes, he never relapsed to that behaviour. His wife said he put a knife to her throat but lots of men put knives to their wives' throats. Unfortunately that wasn't that unusual.
Old September 20th, 2015, 03:26 PM   #10
Emanuele Cianto

Hi all,

Does anyone know where did Chapman live at the time of the murders?

I've read he lived as well in George Yard as well in Cable Street.

Thank you.

Regards,
Em