Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Board Announcements > Remembering the Canonical Five and Other Possible Victims

Remembering the Canonical Five and Other Possible Victims Gone and Mostly Forgotten by all but Ripperologists

Old September 29th, 2015, 12:40 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default Double Event 127th Anniversary

Later on this evening marks the 127th anniversary of the murders of Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes.

R.I.P.
Old September 29th, 2015, 06:26 PM   #2
Chris G.
Editor,Ripperologist Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
Later on this evening marks the 127th anniversary of the murders of Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes.

R.I.P.
R.I.P. Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes indeed!
http://www.ripperologist.biz
http://blog.casebook.org/chrisgeorge
For info about RipperCon, in Baltimore, MD,
April 8-10, 2016, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 10:52 PM   #3
Dusty Miller
just curious

I will be raising a single malt to bless them tonight.
Old September 30th, 2015, 08:33 AM   #4
Chris G.
Editor,Ripperologist Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
I will be raising a single malt to bless them tonight.
Thanks, Dusty. The respect that we show the victims here and in the old Casebook Productions chat room of yore, when we would take time to remember the victims, show that we Ripperologists do honor the victims and not just the bloody perpetrator of the crimes.

Chris
http://www.ripperologist.biz
http://blog.casebook.org/chrisgeorge
For info about RipperCon, in Baltimore, MD,
April 8-10, 2016, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 08:11 PM   #5
Dusty Miller
just curious

Hello Chris,

It's actually something I think about a lot. A penalty of having a hobby like this, I guess.

I often stop and think about the real people involved. In the end it's them that actually interest me and keep my interest going.

People always ask when they find out my interest, who do you think it was and I always tell them, I'm not that interested because we will never know, it's learning about the people and the times that fascinate me.
Old September 30th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #6
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

People always ask when they find out my interest, who do you think it was and I always tell them, I'm not that interested because we will never know, it's learning about the people and the times that fascinate me.
-Dusty Miller-

When I first became interested ( actually captured is more like it ) in the WM, I did so because I really wanted to know who could have done that to Kelly.
Now...I'm with you 100 percent, Dusty.
Old September 30th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #7
Keith Murray
Assistant to Mr. Mann

Default Respect

This week I listened to a 2014 podcast interview with Gian Quasar plugging his "Scarlet Autumn," and I was surprised at the unenlightened, crude and dismissive tone taken towards the Whitechapel victims. He kept using the word "dregs" and commenting how it was unbelievable to think that any man would be interested in these "toothless hags." They were all lumped together in one profile, as if individual lives and characteristics didn't exist.

It reminded me of how reflexively sexist and moralistic attitudes remain in force in some places. But more than that it reminded me again how decent, thoughtful, and balanced in view the forums are on the subject. People are respectful, knowledgeable and sympathetic about the situations in which these women lived.

I know some people who use the victims for political purposes see any discussion of the crimes or the victims' lives as inherently sexist. Politicizing the victims seems as wrong as negatively judging them.

I appreciate the balance seen here, without which serious research would be impossible. This research, in perhaps esoteric ways, continues to humanize the victims. Even if identification of the perpetrator never comes out of it, the research serves as a kind of justice for them, so many years after their deaths.
Keith Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 09:21 AM   #8
Adam Went
Researcher

I agree with Keith. I think that when you're researching such a case, it's easy to sometimes forget that these were real people, obviously with real struggles and all of the thoughts and feelings that any of us have. Unwittingly, they have brought not only their own plight but that of their fellow citizens in the era they lived to the attention of the world.

The years seem to fly by - it seems like no time since the last anniversary - but it's excellent to see that they are still being remembered. RIP.

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 07:25 PM   #9
Dusty Miller
just curious

Interesting that Quasar would assume the men were any less dregs, ugly and toothless than the women. Apparently women should adhere to a standard, even in poverty, that men were not obliged to.

It's always concerned me, still does with modern street prostitution, how desperate the women were to go with some of the obviously "dregs" of men.

Generally speaking, the men chose to have street sex, the women did so out of necessity.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 09:51 PM   #10
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Keith :

Thanks for that review.
I don't like it when I read or hear people in the media describe the Ripper women as 'whores'.
There is a difference ( a whore cheats on a husband or boyfriend, either with one person or indiscriminately; a prostitute sells her body for money, in a situation where the money is the only reason for her deed or deeds ) between whore and prostitute. My rant for the evening.