Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Newcomers Forum

Newcomers Forum Forum for newcomers to the mystery of Jack the Ripper and/or JTRForums.com

Old March 22nd, 2016, 03:23 PM   #11
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default An Important Newspaperman

If you were asked 'Who were the most important individuals ?' that had a part in the murders, in any capacity, most would mention Frederick Abberline, Sir Charles Warren, Donald Swanson, Aaron Kosminski, and so on. Few would respond with the man, a newspaperman to boot, who had as large a part in the overall study of the murders as anyone.

That man would be Thomas Power ( T.P.) O'Connor, shown here some 29 years after the Autumn Of Terror :

O'Connor can be directly connected to the Sun newspaper ( editor in 1894 ) articles which declared that the Ripper had been institutionalized. This one act led to the Macnaghten memoranda...in which the names Ostrog, Kosminski, and Druitt were presented as plausible suspects.

He was at the helm of the Star newspaper when the 'Leather Apron' story broke in September of 1888. It's noteworthy that this is one of the few times a radical left publication helped brew anti-Semitism. In fact, its the only time I could locate a radical left periodical being responsible for such a thing. Ordinarily, right wing publications were responsible for creating this sort of social unrest. I wonder whether the material Martin Fido intends to present on The Ripper & Anti-Semitism at the Baltimore Convention will mention this fact.

His Wikipedia entry does not mention his involvement in the Whitechapel Murders ( as a journalist). Nevertheless, like another newspaper entity, the Central News Agency, who with their October 1888 revelation of the Dear Boss letter and 'Jack The Ripper'...O'Connor was an example of the power of the press.

O'Connor's Wikipedia entry :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._P._O%27Connor

Inspector Walter Race....the source for the Sun series of newspaper articles ( Fortunately, they're available on Casebook)
http://www.casebook.org/press_reports/sun/

Old March 23rd, 2016, 07:20 PM   #12
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default Grainger

Another newspaper article appeared in 1895 which is well worth mentioning.

This event occurred in February of 1895. It was the vicious assault on a prostitute named Alice Graham in Butler Street, Spitalfields by a seaman named William Grant. He's also known by the name William Grant Grainger.
The assault received moderate coverage in the U.K. papers...none so far to my knowledge in the American press at this point in time.
Grant would stand trial in March of that year.
Ordinarily, you would expect that we would have a detailed, play by play, account of Grant's trial posted in the Old Bailey court transcripts.
Unfortunately, we don't. It was deemed, perhaps by the Judge himself, unsuitable for viewing. This is what we do have regarding the verdict and sentencing.

Its very likely that the reason there was such a brief reference to the court case is because Grant stabbed Mrs. Graham in the vaginal area.

However.....a little over two months later, there appeared an article on page 7 of the May 7th Fourth edition of the Pall Mall Gazette, which brought to light some very interesting items.
The editor of the PMG at this time was Henry Cust

Cust took over from W. T. Stead, who had started up his own periodical, Borderlands.
In this article about WGG....in the second sentence in fact....Inspector Donald Swanson is quoted as stating that the Ripper was dead. Just a brief reminder that Aaron Kosminski lived another 2 decades after this article appeared.
The article also contains a list of places Grant had been dating back to 1888....some 6 1/2 years before the article was published. It is doubtful that the Pall Mall Gazette investigated Grant's past and it is equally unlikely that the police took Grant's word for where he had been at the time of the Whitechapel Murders....so the question is, why did the police investigate Grant so many years after the murders ?
You may draw your own conclusions about these things and about this comment too. The article continues with a startling claim that Grant was subjected to an identity parade with a man the police felt had seen with a victim shortly before her dissected body was found on the street. This is undoubtedly Catherine Eddowes. With the mention of a dissected body found on the street, it appears that Joseph Lawende was probably the witness.
In any event, the article gives the researcher and the casual reader much to contemplate. I have yet to determine which PMG reporter wrote this....it may have been a collective effort or simply a one man show. But its interesting because of the interest the police had in Grant at this point in time...6 1/2 years after the first Whitechapel Murder.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 07:37 PM   #13
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default Rob Clack & The William Grant Photo

I've been given permission to post the following photo by Rob. Rob's find, the photo of William Grant Grainger, came a little more than 100 years after it being taken. Rob's well known diligence and tenacity paid off in spades. This is truly a diamond in the rough.

Police Whistle
August 7, 1910

Thats L.Forbes Winslow on the right. Winslow took Grant, shown here after his release from prison to confront his legal counsel, George Kebble....who had been telling everyone and his brother that his former client, Grant, was Jack The Ripper and that he was dead. Winslow, in one of the rare times we can take what he says without rolling our eyes, was actually right. Grant was alive...and when Kebble saw him approaching, he is alleged to have run off.
Old March 25th, 2016, 11:09 PM   #14
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

I wanted to bring up a pair of articles which have added to the history of the Case in a positive way. They appeared after the revised A to Z came out..

One being a series of newspaper articles located by Debra Arif ghost written or written by Charles Le Grand....or Grand...or Grandy...or whatever name you'd prefer.

A Belfast Newsletter in 1892 first revealed that 'Scotland Yard' believed rightly or wrongly that the Whitechapel murderer was in prison serving time for another crime and was a Belgian blackmailer sent down for 20 years. This was first posted by Mike Covell and it was Debra Arif who connected it to Grande. Debra Arif deduced it was William James, who had been conducting surveillance on Le Grand after 1887. He was in prison for manslaughter when he ran into Jabez Balfour, another figure in the Le Grand saga. I understand that it was a painstaking effort which produced the name of the policeman who felt Le Grand was the Ripper.

Another was an article located in a 1914 Buffalo newspaper 50 years after the Civil War which, to my mind, conclusively puts Francis Tumblety and John Wilkes Booth together. It does nothing for Tumblety's candidature as a suspect, but I think it adds to the overall picture. I'm sure he knew of Booth's great animosity towards President Lincoln. Once again, going back through a trove of newspapers, I found the article appearing one day when it previously hadn't.

I would have added more had I used the material for the Conference...but I think folks who have been inactive in regard to newspaper work get the idea by now.
Old March 26th, 2016, 11:48 AM   #15
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post

One being a series of newspaper articles located by Rob Clack ghost written or written by Charles Le Grand....or Grand...or Grandy...or whatever name you'd prefer.

Which ones were these, How?
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 12:51 PM   #16
Rob Clack
Author/Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
Which ones were these, How?
No idea myself, Crimson Crimes articles?
Rob Clack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #17
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Rob, Debs...

Its from Answers, March 2nd 1907

Having trouble putting it on the boards at the moment

Old March 26th, 2016, 01:34 PM   #18
Rob Clack
Author/Researcher

Quote:
Rob, Debs...

Thanks Howard, I don't remember that.
Rob Clack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 01:36 PM   #19
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Rob, Debs...

Broke on the wheel? That was me, How. I found an advert in the Daily Mail titled 'the most dangerous man in her majesty's prison' about the serialisation of Grande's prison memoirs in Answers magazine and then I found a catalogue reference for the right issues and Ed Stow very generously went to the archive and looked at and copied the articles for those interested.
Old March 26th, 2016, 01:37 PM   #20
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Clack View Post
Thanks Howard, I don't remember that.
I thought I sent you copies too after Ed sent them to me? Some of the scans were upside down and stuff?