Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Editorials

Editorials Setting the record straight when and where necessary

Old March 25th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default A Really Annoying Trend

I'm sure some of you have noticed the photos being passed off as being of Catherine Eddowes, Polly Nichols, Kelly and Stride.

I've attempted to set the people straight about this sham, not only on You Tube but once on Facebook. People have accepted these photos as being the victims themselves....and often get belligerent when you try to do the right thing. Only Chapman's photo is presented accurately. I posted messages on two programs tonight, here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y5rMlLgkxw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4hcAq0VoeQ

Anyone else see these and has anyone attempted to correct this annoying practice ?
Old March 26th, 2016, 02:50 AM   #2
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default shared

Hello Howard. I share your view.

Wish we could get rid of ALL erroneous assumptions which are merely taken for granted in this case.

Cheers.
LC
Lynn Cates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 04:32 AM   #3
Curryong

I've seen them too. I think all you can do is give your knowledgable opinion on these photos (or other artefacts that occasionally turn up) and if people think they know better, then you may as well leave them to their delusions. Some individuals will never accept the truth and it's a waste of time arguing with them, IMO.
Curryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 06:46 AM   #4
Cogidubnus
Derelict and Drifting

Labelled as fake and fraudulent...not that that will make any difference at all...
Cogidubnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 07:02 AM   #5
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Thanks for the replies, folks !
Old March 26th, 2016, 09:14 AM   #6
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
I'm sure some of you have noticed the photos being passed off as being of Catherine Eddowes, Polly Nichols, Kelly and Stride.

I've attempted to set the people straight about this sham, not only on You Tube but once on Facebook. People have accepted these photos as being the victims themselves....and often get belligerent when you try to do the right thing. Only Chapman's photo is presented accurately. I posted messages on two programs tonight, here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y5rMlLgkxw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4hcAq0VoeQ

Anyone else see these and has anyone attempted to correct this annoying practice ?
Hi Howard

There's an equally annoying trend in which photo sharing entities on Twitter are passing off photographs claimed as being one thing and then turning out to be something else. An example is the following --

The truth about this alleged photograph is here --

http://hoaxes.org/weblog/comments/cl...k_oranges_gang

Best regards

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 12:06 PM   #7
Anna Morris

There are many Twitter accounts such as the one noted here. Most of us on Twitter know that kind of site really wants us to click something to get some advertising. The good thing about Twitter is we kind of get sorted as to interests or activities. While these kinds of accounts follow people like me, neither me nor my followers have much interest to interact with these accounts. I would assume only new folks on Twitter, or those interested in movie stars and such would pay much attention.

Debra and I once discussed erroneous posts on Pinterest and we discussed the possibility of a Pinterest board exposing the faulty postings. I would be willing to do this as I have a Pinterest account, but I can't do Pinterest on Windows 10. If I can ever get another Google system--(Google I think is better for searches and a few things)--I would be happy to have a board like this. From what I gather, I have an international following on Pinterest as my interests are artistic for the most part.

Twitter is fast paced, here and gone. If you want something to sink in you post it over and over and it won't make much impression until someone else thinks it's special and their friends agree.

Pinterest is like sports trading cards of old. Find new stuff to post or swap with other pinners. An error can be magnified that way and it hangs around, but Pinterest has a poor reputation among those who want to learn and research. It is good for me because I have the international world of art and ways of doing things and I don't have to subscribe to a bunch of magazines. Other than looking at pictures and instructions, Pinterest doesn't have much value.
Old March 27th, 2016, 12:52 AM   #8
Adam Went
Researcher

Unfortunately social media sites are where a large quantity of trolls, attention seekers and uneducated idiots lurk, so I've found that trying to correct them with facts, logic and common sense is an absolute waste of time - that goes for any subject, not just JTR. The best that can be hoped is that if they actually take the time to look into such hoaxes, they'll discover and accept the truth of it.

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 03:21 PM   #9
Anna Morris

Another problem is that anyone can have their own web page. There are MANY pages that just cadge whatever Wikipedia has said about a certain subject. Then whoever owns the page adds a few comments or opinions.

Social media is what people make of it. If people want to be informed and inform others, that's the company they will keep. If they want to be titillated and ignore facts, they will find it.

Out of this mess there are some excellent places to go if a person has a serious interest in a subject. This Forum is one of those places.
Old June 8th, 2016, 05:42 AM   #10
CGP
Former Member

I see Russell Edwards is now using some of these spurious photographs on one of his websites:
http://www.thejacktherippertour.co.uk/news/
CGP is offline   Reply With Quote