Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Torsos

The Torsos Bodies and body parts found in the Thames River as well as in other locations prior to, during, and after the more celebrated Whitechapel Murders

Old November 11th, 2017, 08:18 AM   #11
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
Thanks, Gary. There was a temporary road or something similar built, leading from the Civil Service Commission building to the building site which traffic entering the site used. I wonder if that was the point of access? It's quite close to the vault marked by the looks of it?...But you know me and maps
Debs,

Is the wording 'leading from' the CSC building 'to' the site or 'between' them?

What was later called Derby Gate looks on the map as if if it would have served as a useful access road either from the Embankment or Parliament Street.

Gary
Gary Barnett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 11:16 AM   #12
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
Debs,

Is the wording 'leading from' the CSC building 'to' the site or 'between' them?

What was later called Derby Gate looks on the map as if if it would have served as a useful access road either from the Embankment or Parliament Street.

Gary
Thanks Debs and Gary,

I borrowed this map from Rob's article in Ripp. 143. The red arrow is Derby Gate. I believe there would have been one of the two gates spoken of on Cannon Row about where my arrow is. That's also roughly where the crane accident would have taken place. The machinery reaching almost 70 feet in the air, fell, crashing into the basement nearly killing some of the detectives searching for body parts.

Debs, at the bottom of the plan in my first post is a website. There is a link to the basement plan in the article. It is a zoomable map so you can see the detail better. The passageway you asked about is an underground pathway leading to Westminster Station.

Jerry Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 11:52 AM   #13
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

To the extreme right on the plan is the Black Museum, which was moved over from Great Scotland Yard into the basement of this New Police Building in 1890. According to The Builder, the police partially occupied this building in November of 1890. I had the impression they were in there earlier than that.

Also, something I didn't know, was the foundations when originally constructed by Mapleson for the Opera House, extended down to a depth of 40 to 50 feet. Water would fill up in the basement fairly rapidly from the springs, so pumps were needed to get rid of the water. They say Grover & Sons did great job with these water issues when they worked on the foundation and there were no issues when completed.
Old November 11th, 2017, 12:03 PM   #14
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

After looking at the size of this area, which is much larger than I had pictured in my mind, the other body parts could have been buried almost anywhere in here and not been found. The basement had been completed for 3 months (Julyish) so I'm sure the men were not down there as often other than to store their tools in that recess.
Old November 11th, 2017, 12:24 PM   #15
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Debs, Also regarding your question on what that pathway was (the passage to the district line) Mapelson had this to say in his memoirs which I have posted in the past but makes more sense to me now:

'I intended it to be the leading Opera-house of the world; every provision had been made. The building was entirely isolated; and a station had been built beneath the house in connection with the District Railway, so that the audience on leaving had merely to descend the stairs and enter the train. In the sub-basement dressing-rooms, containing lockers, were provided for suburban visitors who might wish to attend the opera. A subterranean passage, moreover, led into the Houses of Parliament; and I had made arrangements by which silent members, after listening to beautiful music instead of dull debates, might return to the House on hearing the division-bell.'

So that underground passage had been in place since 1875.