Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > 2012 Ripper Conference In The U.K.

Old October 29th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #11
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

We'll bend 'em Jonny.
That's what elbows are for,pal.
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #12
SirRobertAnderson
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post
When I was looking I was desperately trying to not sneeze on it...
Trevor Bond signed his name in it when no one was looking. His secret is safe with me as I will never tell.
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #13
Wolf Vanderlinden
Researcher/Ripper Notes Editor

One question I've wondered about. Did Neil Storey explain the provenance of the supposed new photo of Tumblety? Since the subject doesn't look like Tumblety as seen in the photo found by Tim Riordan, which, apparently, is of Tumblety, what is the evidence which causes him to suggest that it a likeness of the good doctor?

Just curios.

Wolf.
Wolf Vanderlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #14
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

Hi Wolf

I remember Neil pointing out the difference and me thinking his photo had a better provenance - IIRC it (being also listed in the book as from a private collection) was in some Hall Cain records but I might be mistaken

I don't see much difference in the facial features and I think one could easily be the other given the 6 year gap - except Neil's photo shows a man with no ear lobes whereas Tim's photo shows a man who appears to have ear lobes
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #15
The Grave Maurice
Researcher

What I remember about Neil Storey's talk is how well he spoke, but that was true of all the speakers. John Bennett and Laura Richards were also particularly good. But the highlight, because it was completely unexpected, was the appearance of the diary. I never expected to see that, and it was quite a thrill. I didn't get Trevor Marriott's insight that "Juwes" should be read as "jurors": I think we're all still scratching our heads over that one.
The Grave Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #16
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

Yes

It wasn't the writing, it was the local pronunciation of Jurors that was suggested as being written phonetically as Jewes/juewes
Old October 30th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #17
Wolf Vanderlinden
Researcher/Ripper Notes Editor

Hi Nemo.

Quote:
remember Neil pointing out the difference and me thinking his photo had a better provenance - IIRC it (being also listed in the book as from a private collection) was in some Hall Cain records but I might be mistaken

I don't see much difference in the facial features and I think one could easily be the other given the 6 year gap - except Neil's photo shows a man with no ear lobes whereas Tim's photo shows a man who appears to have ear lobes
Thanks for that. There seem to be several differences between the two photographs, the ear lobes being the most obvious, so I wonder why Neil believes his photo is of Tumblety. I'm also not quite sure that Neil's photo has a better provenance than the one Tim found.

Tim's photo came from the front cover of Tumblety's 1871 self published bio. Tumblety mentions the photo in the text and states that he is wearing a Prussian officers uniform. More importantly, in 1873 the father of Henry Carr, the young man was up before a Police Magistrate for unlawful ownership of a gold watch chain (Tumblety's), produced a copy of the bio and showed the photo to the judge saying that this was the man who had "decoyed his son away" so we know it is a likeness of Tumblety.

All in all, I'm not sure that Neil's photo is of Dr. T.

Wolf.
Wolf Vanderlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #18
SirRobertAnderson
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
Thanks for that. There seem to be several differences between the two photographs, the ear lobes being the most obvious, so I wonder why Neil believes his photo is of Tumblety.
My scanner is down for the count but it would be worthwhile to post up scans of just the ear lobes blown up. They are very different.
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #19
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

I think Neil would be happy to correct me Wolf

If Neil's photo was found in a file of Hall Caine letters then it would be the most likely to be mislabelled I think but I might be mistaken

I'll check if there is specific mention in the book because I did speed read a couple of chapters
Old November 1st, 2012, 06:55 AM   #20
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

Wolf - I don't see any specific reference to the provenance of Neil's photo in his book other than the "Private collection" label