Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Persons Of Interest or Actual Suspects > D'Onston Stephenson

D'Onston Stephenson (Practically) Everything you ever wanted to know about this fascinating individual who still attracts attention today

Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default D'Onston & LVP Bogus Degrees

In my home, I have a pretty hefty broadsword ( for heavy duty battle allegedly the model preferred by Charlemagne ) on my wall which I obtained after one of my parents died. I don't use it. Its not sharp. It just sits there and whenever anyone used to come over they would ask about it. Its a novelty.

I got to thinking today as Nina and I have been very intrigued by the Buchanan Family, of which we've provided numerous mini-episodes into that bizarre and criminal clan only just today and yesterday.

What I thought about was the Roots Report and the claim that Inspector Roots made about the "New York diploma" that Mr. Harris repeats in a 2002 Ripper Notes article.

Buchanan, who makes "Dr." Tumbelty look more like a small time operator when one compares the magnitude of their actions during the 1870's into the 1890's...was in New York during the 1850's and I have seen proof of that in a recent article that Nina found an hour ago.

I now think its highly likely that if D'Onston had a degree...it was bogus...but that it emanated from Buchanan in some form or fashion and may have been just an ornament...very much like my sword is on the wall. Just a novelty. Something someone can talk about without actually having to do anything with it.

Buchanan,by his own admission, was responsible for 60,000 bogus diplomas worldwide.

Could D'Onston have hung one of the 60,000 phonies on his wall too?
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Mike Covell
Former Member

Do we know if this purveyor of faulty degrees had a mail order service or something similar, where RDS could have obtained one of these via the post?

I really can't see someone travelling to the USA from the UK, just for a phony degree, so am looking at wether one was available via the post!
Mike Covell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Covell View Post
Do we know if this purveyor of faulty degrees had a mail order service or something similar, where RDS could have obtained one of these via the post?

I really can't see someone travelling to the USA from the UK, just for a phony degree, so am looking at wether one was available via the post!
Hello Mike

I don't know about this particular case but here's some information and discussion on the matter of mail order degrees either legitimate or bogus, courtesy of Mr. Google:

mail order degrees

Chris
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/[/URL]
2 days of talks & 2 days of tours, April 6 to April 9!
Places still available.
Don't Miss Out on the Only North American
Conference on the Whitechapel Murders
in the 130th Anniversary Year of the Crimes
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #4
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Mike & C.G.

Without looking at the Google link, I recall the uproar by that German doctor who claimed that the 3,000( ballpark figure) phony degrees came from the US ( primarily Philadelphia). that inundated Berlin.

Unless someone brought 3,000 phony degrees with him in a suitcase or portmanteau....I would wager they were mailed to someone in the U.K., preferably in a large city such as London or Liverpool....or to a city on the Continent...as well as smuggled in by courier.