Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Torsos

The Torsos Bodies and body parts found in the Thames River as well as in other locations prior to, during, and after the more celebrated Whitechapel Murders

Old October 12th, 2017, 05:21 AM   #11
Gary Barnett

Wandsworth, of course, is where the Cowdrys lived.

Wasn't the confluence of the Wandle and the Thames suggested as a possible point of entry for some of the body parts? (I'm a bit rusty on this).
Gary Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 05:32 AM   #12
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
Wandsworth, of course, is where the Cowdrys lived.

Wasn't the confluence of the Wandle and the Thames suggested as a possible point of entry for some of the body parts? (I'm a bit rusty on this).
I believe it was for the 1873 or 1874 case. Wow Gary, the Cowdry's were close to this address too. I didn't realize that's where they lived.
Jerry Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #13
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Hi Jerry

The 1861 is indeed a mystery. The Frederick John Wildbore born (or registered) at Wisbech, corresponds with the lodger. On the GRO he is "Wildbone" and registered at Wisbech Union, so maybe that explains his uncertainty as to his origins. His mother's name is "Young."

How he could also have been born at Hickley with mother Davenport is a puzzle. My theory is that Martha had so many kids, Frederick was able to wander in occasionally and sit down for a dinner without anyone noticing.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 12:05 PM   #14
Sam Flynn
Owl Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
My theory is that Martha had so many kids, Frederick was able to wander in occasionally and sit down for a dinner without anyone noticing.
Reminds me of an incident at my university, where a female student turned up to all the lectures at the medical school, made friends and, by all accounts, impressed her fellow students. It was only when it came to the end of term exams that it was discovered that, although she had a genuine student pass and library card, she was registered on another course entirely. She probably got away with it for as long as she did because we had such a large medical faculty.

"Suche Nullen"
(F. Nietzsche)

Sam Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #15
Robert Linford

Gareth do you know if she passed her other course?
Old October 12th, 2017, 12:20 PM   #16
Anna Morris

Great work, Jerry!

As to whether someone's mind would hold for decades after a dismemberment murder, yes. As DNA solves more and more cold cases it is astounding how many horrific beyond description murders were "one-off", so to speak. The killers went ahead, married, had children, sometimes were community leaders. A common thread in these cases seems to be young men, less than twenty years old, impulsively doing the unthinkable, then going on with life. Who knows what their minds were saturated with before they acted out the unforgivable.
Old October 12th, 2017, 03:05 PM   #17
Sam Flynn
Owl Catcher

Quote:
Gareth do you know if she passed her other course?
She didn't attend those lectures, I presume. Preclinical medical students have a fairly crammed time-table. It was because I was sharing digs with two first-year medical students that I got to hear about this débacle. The last I heard about it was that the young lady was trying to get officially enrolled on the medical course the following academic year (like I say, she impressed her peers, so was no slouch), but whether she was successful in this I don't know.

"Suche Nullen"
(F. Nietzsche)

Sam Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 04:59 PM   #18
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Maybe the motives for disposing of dismembered bodies were no longer an issue, e.g. (wild speculation alert) he found contentment in marriage/fatherhood and stopped having affairs with women who blackmailed him. Perhaps he was responsible for only one of the torso cases, and only then for a very specific reason, e.g. to shut someone up.

Incidentally, the above might apply to any perpetrator. Doesn't have to be Wildbore.
Thanks Sam,

Your points are well taken, although, I have to go with the opinion of the authorities of the time that thought the 4 cases (1887-1889) were connected until further evidence proves any different.
Old October 12th, 2017, 05:02 PM   #19
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Quote:
Hi Jerry

The 1861 is indeed a mystery. The Frederick John Wildbore born (or registered) at Wisbech, corresponds with the lodger. On the GRO he is "Wildbone" and registered at Wisbech Union, so maybe that explains his uncertainty as to his origins. His mother's name is "Young."

How he could also have been born at Hickley with mother Davenport is a puzzle. My theory is that Martha had so many kids, Frederick was able to wander in occasionally and sit down for a dinner without anyone noticing.
Thanks Robert,

It's puzzling! That's why I left it out for now. I was wondering if he were a troubled child and was sent to live with that other family in the 1861 census just as he was living with a relative (Michael Wildbore) in the 1871 census where it lists him as nephew.
Old October 12th, 2017, 05:42 PM   #20
Robert Linford

Jerry, there's a couple of items on Frederick Augustus Wildbore, including a photo : "Lincolnshire Standard and Boston Guardian" 1928 and 1931.