Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Maps & Charts

Maps & Charts Area of JTRForums for maps of the East End and other relevant areas. Charts and graphs will be found here as well

Old May 19th, 2016, 11:58 AM   #21
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
Hi Jerry,
Yes, that's right, Charley Mitchell and another boxer gave an interview in the US for the newspapers there are the press produced a large article even describing their dress. Both wore tie pins and diamonds and Mitchell had an astrachan trimmed coat. It was a popular style of dress for pugilists of the era, they were very smart men but a little loud in their dress sense and always had the jewellery to go with it. I've also posted pics of Jem Mace in his astrachan trimmed coat and one where he sports a rather large thick gold watch chain and I think horse shoe tie pins were very popular among sportsmen connected to boxing and racing.
Thanks for this Debs. Makes me wonder, with John McCarthy and his boxing stories, could Hutch's story be true? Maybe George Hutchinson saw one of these boxers that night. Were the lodging keepers hiring thugs to collect rent and other odd jobs?
Jerry Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #22
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
Were the lodging keepers hiring thugs to collect rent and other odd jobs?
Almost certainly, I would have said.

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....=Maher&page=12
Gary Barnett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:32 PM   #23
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Simons View Post
Nice one, Jerry !!
Poor old George Salvage.
Mr Salvage would regularly assist the inebriated William Brodie up to his room when he lodged there.
I`d like to have seen the bully Mitchell have a go at Brodie, who was a lot bigger than Mitchell and a complete nut.

What year did this all happen ?
Were there any illustrations of Harvey`s Buildings or Mr Salvage ?

p.s.
don`t know w.t.f. that lightbulb is there for.
To show their appreciation for his having managed to avoid being beaten unconscious, a group of English supporters presented Charley Mitchell with a championship belt.

Jon,

After having a go at John L. Sullivan in March of 1888, a heavyweight, and being the first to knock him down in a bare fisted fight for the heavyweight championship that lasted 39 rounds, 3 hours and 11 minutes, I don't think Brodie had a chance. He was a nutter though, so he probably would have tried, given the chance! By the way, at the end of the fight with Mitchell, both men were unrecognizable and had suffered much loss of blood; neither could lift his arms to punch and the contest was considered a draw.{wikipedia}

I also found a news clip of Mitchell trying to lift the "Lady Magnet" [Mrs Annie Abbott] by the elbows at the Alhambra Theatre. After much exertion, he failed.
Old May 19th, 2016, 02:34 PM   #24
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
Hi Jerry,
Yes, that's right, Charley Mitchell and another boxer gave an interview in the US for the newspapers there are the press produced a large article even describing their dress. Both wore tie pins and diamonds and Mitchell had an astrachan trimmed coat. It was a popular style of dress for pugilists of the era, they were very smart men but a little loud in their dress sense and always had the jewellery to go with it. I've also posted pics of Jem Mace in his astrachan trimmed coat and one where he sports a rather large thick gold watch chain and I think horse shoe tie pins were very popular among sportsmen connected to boxing and racing.
Actually, checking back-Charlie's overcoat was trimmed with heavy sable at the collar and cuffs and he sported a diamond horse shoe pin, it was his touring companion and fellow boxer Jem Smith who was wearing the coat trimmed with astrakhan. Sort of a mix and match of Mr A between them. They also mentioned they'd just been presented with diamond encrusted gold lockets while in Dublin. Very into the bling.
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #25
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
Almost certainly, I would have said.

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....=Maher&page=12
Thanks, Gary,

I remember that thread. I'll have to read through it a bit more. The Maher stuff was very interesting.
Old May 19th, 2016, 07:49 PM   #26
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Sorry to turn this into a Charley Mitchell thread, but here is more on him. It's no wonder he had a temper after seeing this. By the way, Charley was married with three children. Looks like Arthur Newton (Cleveland Street Scandal fame) was her solicitor.

Anyway to make these smaller, Howard?

and again in 1896