Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Maps & Charts

Maps & Charts Area of JTRForums for maps of the East End and other relevant areas. Charts and graphs will be found here as well

Old October 25th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #1
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Default 9-12 Dorset Street

Hello all,

Does anyone know who owned the lodging houses from 9-12 circa 1888-1891? And did the house(s) at these addresses have names? Any help would be appreciated.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Tom_Wescott

Bump.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old October 26th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #3
Phillip Walton
Researcher

I assume whoever owned or leased the properties paid rates to the local authorities, also the 1891 census might give some clues,
Phillip Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #4
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....ani#post170386

This may answer your questions but you'll have to follow the link and scroll all the way down to post #14.
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Tom_Wescott

Thanks a million, Debs. This answered my question...but rather created a new one. My interest was because John Arundell, friend of Elizabeth Stride and one of the first to identify her by her real name, lived at 32 F&D Street when she was murdered. By December of that year we find him at 19 George Street when he was a witness to the Annie Farmer attack. In the 1891 census we find him as the deputy of numbers 9-12 Dorset Street. John Satchell owned 32 F&D and 19 George Street, with John McCarthy running 11 and 12 Dorset Street. Satchell and McCarthy were old friends so the connection makes sense. But could the census have made a mistake in having Arundell as deputy of 9 and 10, ran by Thomas Oyler and not McCarthy, or does it make sense to you that one man would be running four houses? That seems a rather difficult load.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old October 26th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
Thanks a million, Debs. This answered my question...but rather created a new one. My interest was because John Arundell, friend of Elizabeth Stride and one of the first to identify her by her real name, lived at 32 F&D Street when she was murdered. By December of that year we find him at 19 George Street when he was a witness to the Annie Farmer attack. In the 1891 census we find him as the deputy of numbers 9-12 Dorset Street. John Satchell owned 32 F&D and 19 George Street, with John McCarthy running 11 and 12 Dorset Street. Satchell and McCarthy were old friends so the connection makes sense. But could the census have made a mistake in having Arundell as deputy of 9 and 10, ran by Thomas Oyler and not McCarthy, or does it make sense to you that one man would be running four houses? That seems a rather difficult load.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
I think we talked before about how property information from land Tax records and Lodging House registers for the same years don't seem to marry up as far as owners and proprietors go? It was also discussed briefly on the thread I linked to, I think. Perhaps there's an element of that involved? I couldn't really offer an opinion without giving everything you mentioned a much closer look as there's a lot to take in there!
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Tom_Wescott

My completely unsubstantiated opinion is that Arundell might have been one of the "bullies" employed by lodging houses as security. You know those little details that don't seem to mean much but niggle at you? One of them for me is how Elizabeth Tanner, deputy of #32, claimed not to have known Stride's real name, but Arundell knew it. This in spite of the fact that 'Long Liz' is a play on Stride's surname, so she was not secretive at all about her identity. And Tanner claimed to have been friends with Stride for six years, to the extent that she offered her that sweet paying gig of cleaning a room for the rather high payment of 6s, instead of offering it to more regular lodgers who would have killed for it.

I'm not reading anything too deep into it, but it just niggles at me. I don't trust lodging house keepers any further than I could throw them.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old November 6th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #8
Edward Stow
Researcher

Here are the plans for 11-12 Duval Street in 1903 when it was owned by McCarthy.
Name:  12 duval street c.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  44.5 KB
Name:  12 duval street b.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  34.9 KB
Edward Stow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 04:28 PM   #9
JMenges
Former Member

Default Updates on Arundell?

I've received a message (off-boards) from someone who is casually interested in Arundell as a possible suspect. I'd appreciate it if any more biographical info could be found and posted to flesh out this rather interesting character.

All the best,

JM
JMenges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 06:34 PM   #10
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Hi Jon

John Peter Arundel(l). Born 1854 London. Married twice, having several children. By 1901 he was manager of St Olaves Chambers, a men's lodging house in Silvester St, Newington. This building housed over 600 people. He died in 1917 leaving approx. 150.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote