Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Persons Of Interest or Actual Suspects

Persons Of Interest or Actual Suspects To date, over one hundred have been proposed...many are considered...but only one [ or was it two? ] was Jack The Ripper.

Old July 20th, 2017, 05:25 PM   #81
Mr. Poster
Twit

Any man late at night in whitechapel on the wrong street was a whore super magnet.

Can you argue why you think he was hunting?

The predator ripper is an attractive notion but so is a top hat and a cape.

He was more like an alligator. Just hanging, until a wildebeest stumbles over him, preferably sick or old and weak and he just thinks "you'll do" and its done.

No dramatic stalking and glamorous hunting. Just grubby , semi-random, pointless ultra violence in a violent time and a violent area.

He was never caught as being caught at the time could only be achieved by being up to your elbows in her guts. They couldnt even identify human blood stains for gods sake.

Good places to kill arent public squares, thoroughfares, back yards , social clubs. Good places are places where people are not or wont be for a while and if you think Mitre Square is the darkest, least trafficed, most sinister place in Whitechapel.... you'd be sadly mistaken.

There were places where the police didnt patrol and people werent at night.

But instead he "chooses" (sarcasm) populated areas, populated thoroughfares, one room death traps and outside social clubs.Shagging spots for whores who dont want to stray too far from the main road so they can get back to whoring as quicklyvas possible. Time being money I guess.

Hes not very smart,is he, our "super predator"? Lucky perchance, clever? Apparently not.

The torso murderer.... now he was more clever. No tripping over warm bodies outdide clubs with that chap!

P
"Chance hasn't yet peached on Jack the Ripper.If she ever does, it will probably be cause for grotesque disappointment among the Ripperologists, who get as much joy from attacking one another's lunacies, as from any problems originally posed by the Whitechapel murderer" R. Gowers, The Independant, Saturday, 31 December 1994
Mr. Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 06:30 PM   #82
Anna Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Poster View Post
Hi Anna

Im not sure what source you are drawing on for the serial killer characteristics stuff......but 99% of the guff out there about serial killers is solely designed to get your dollars out of your pocket.

Its been and is regularly debunked as flim flam and nonsense and its on a par with saying he was Sagitarius with a Gemini cusp or something.

P
I am partial to John Douglas' work. Maybe because he almost worked himself to death on a case right here in the Pacific Northwest.

What I do notice about profiling is, even though I believe at least the early profilers were honest and dedicated, lots of it turns out to be wrong. It does seem that some urban serial killers or rapists start near their residences and work a radius around home. There are others who pick up prostitutes fifteen miles from home, drive them another ten miles out & dump their bodies.

Profiling present lives and early lives of serial killers seems to be especially erroneous. Epigenetics is shedding new light on how people become what they are and a mother who is a whore or a cold, uncaring wife is not necessary. Head injury can predict but look at how many people get head injuries in normal life.
Individual characteristics mess up the profiling thing.
Old July 21st, 2017, 03:18 AM   #83
Mr. Poster
Twit

Hi Anna

Quote:
I am partial to John Douglas' work.

It does seem that some urban serial killers or rapists start near their residences and work a radius around home. There are others who pick up prostitutes fifteen miles from home, drive them another ten miles out & dump their bodies.

Profiling present lives and early lives of serial killers seems to be especially erroneous.

Individual characteristics mess up the profiling thing.
I was afraid of that.

I heartily recommend that you take a read of:

Goodwin, M., 2002, Reliability, Validity, and Utility of Criminal Profiling Typologies, Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology, 2002, Volume 17, Number 1

or:

Snook, B., Cullen, R.M., Bennell, C., Taylor, P.J., Gendreau, P., 2008, The Criminal Profiling Illusion: What’s Behind the Smoke and Mirrors?, Criminal Justice and Behavior, Vol. 35 No. 10, pp. 1257-1276

or:

Kocsis, R. N., Irwin, H. J., Hayes, A. F., Nunn, R. 2000, Expertise in Psychological Profiling A Comparative Assessment. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. 15 (3) pp 311–331.

Even in your own post you present examples of the kind of "Cold Reading" nonsense behind profiling.

You cannot be partial to Douglas and then recognise that the fundamental tenets of this nonsense are false (as you do in your post).

p

P
"Chance hasn't yet peached on Jack the Ripper.If she ever does, it will probably be cause for grotesque disappointment among the Ripperologists, who get as much joy from attacking one another's lunacies, as from any problems originally posed by the Whitechapel murderer" R. Gowers, The Independant, Saturday, 31 December 1994
Old July 21st, 2017, 05:56 AM   #84
Phil Carter
Author

Pardon me for a slight deflection.. but should not the title of this thread be "Suspect or witness"?
After all, the man has been proposed as a suspected murderer, he cannot be "murderer" without proof of having killed somebody.

Maybe I'm just being pedantic. Apologies.

Phil
Old July 21st, 2017, 06:03 AM   #85
Michael Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Carter View Post
Pardon me for a slight deflection.. but should not the title of this thread be "Suspect or witness"?
After all, the man has been proposed as a suspected murderer, he cannot be "murderer" without proof of having killed somebody.

Phil
That would have been more accurate Phil.

Cheers
Michael
Michael Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 06:18 AM   #86
Michael Banks

Quote:
Any man late at night in whitechapel on the wrong street was a whore super magnet.

Can you argue why you think he was hunting?

The predator ripper is an attractive notion but so is a top hat and a cape.

He was more like an alligator. Just hanging, until a wildebeest stumbles over him, preferably sick or old and weak and he just thinks "you'll do" and its done.

No dramatic stalking and glamorous hunting. Just grubby , semi-random, pointless ultra violence in a violent time and a violent area.

He was never caught as being caught at the time could only be achieved by being up to your elbows in her guts. They couldnt even identify human blood stains for gods sake.

Good places to kill arent public squares, thoroughfares, back yards , social clubs. Good places are places where people are not or wont be for a while and if you think Mitre Square is the darkest, least trafficed, most sinister place in Whitechapel.... you'd be sadly mistaken.

There were places where the police didnt patrol and people werent at night.

But instead he "chooses" (sarcasm) populated areas, populated thoroughfares, one room death traps and outside social clubs.Shagging spots for whores who dont want to stray too far from the main road so they can get back to whoring as quicklyvas possible. Time being money I guess.

Hes not very smart,is he, our "super predator"? Lucky perchance, clever? Apparently not.

The torso murderer.... now he was more clever. No tripping over warm bodies outdide clubs with that chap!

P
I think that he was 'hunting' because the alternative is that he was just 'loitering' on the off-chance of bumping into a potential victim. Even a crocodile, when it's lying in wait, is hunting. He's just not moving around much to do it.

I disagree completely about 'good places.'

Bucks Row, a deserted backstreet, not a known soliciting area.
Hanbury Street, a back yard, out of sight.
Berner Street, probably his worst choice, but still a dingy, I'll lit yard.
Mitre Square, you say 'if you think Mitre Square is...' Not now, but in 1888 it was.
Millers Court, why would he expect to be disturbed in someone's room? Surely he'd have only had to ask Kelly?

Of course there is always an element of risk. But a killer who 'enjoyed' what he did; who was compelled to kill, would want to mitigate those risks to allow him to carry on. Keep them to a minimum.

I don't understand why the idea of a killer exercising a certain level of caution appears so strange. Also, it's known from interviews with actual killers, that often the actual hunt is almost as satisfying as the actual kill. All part of the game.

Regards
Michael
Michael Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 06:47 AM   #87
Caroline Morris
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Carter View Post

Phil
Hi Phil,

But if he wasn't a witness, what else would he have been but the killer?

An innocent witness can still be a suspect, while a suspect can still be an innocent witness.

Am I missing something?

Love,

Caz
X
Old July 21st, 2017, 07:11 AM   #88
Mr. Poster
Twit

He wasn't even a witness....... he saw nothing.

P
Old July 21st, 2017, 10:58 AM   #89
Anna Morris

Quote:
Hi Anna

I was afraid of that.

I heartily recommend that you take a read of:

Goodwin, M., 2002, Reliability, Validity, and Utility of Criminal Profiling Typologies, Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology, 2002, Volume 17, Number 1

or:

Snook, B., Cullen, R.M., Bennell, C., Taylor, P.J., Gendreau, P., 2008, The Criminal Profiling Illusion: What’s Behind the Smoke and Mirrors?, Criminal Justice and Behavior, Vol. 35 No. 10, pp. 1257-1276

or:

Kocsis, R. N., Irwin, H. J., Hayes, A. F., Nunn, R. 2000, Expertise in Psychological Profiling A Comparative Assessment. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. 15 (3) pp 311–331.

Even in your own post you present examples of the kind of "Cold Reading" nonsense behind profiling.

You cannot be partial to Douglas and then recognise that the fundamental tenets of this nonsense are false (as you do in your post).

p

P
I'll read the articles. Sometimes profiling seems to be right and sometimes fortune tellers are amazingly accurate. As I remember profiling was an abysmal failure in our UnaBomber case. And I think the "organised"/ "disorganised" killer stuff is hogwash.
Old July 21st, 2017, 11:47 AM   #90
Mr. Poster
Twit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Morris View Post
I'll read the articles. Sometimes profiling seems to be right and sometimes fortune tellers are amazingly accurate. As I remember profiling was an abysmal failure in our UnaBomber case. And I think the "organised"/ "disorganised" killer stuff is hogwash.
The only accuracy in fortune telling is the fortune tellers accuracy in identifying people susceptible to their cold reading tricks.

P