Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Mysteries Within The Mystery

Mysteries Within The Mystery Forum for researchers to list what they feel are the most uncanny mysteries within the greater mystery....the identity and motive of the Whitechapel Murderer

Old August 4th, 2017, 03:07 PM   #781
Sean Crundall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
I've never come across a landlord who didn't retain a spare key(s).

Despite the claim of the window having been broken during a quarrel with Barnett it's possible that the window was deliberately broken by Kelly in order to access her room. Perhaps she lost two keys (on separate occasions) when drunk and was attempting to attribute the broken window to a quarrel and so avoid being charged. Perhaps McCarthy was unaware of the loss of a second key

It has to be said that most keepers' of lodging houses weren't known for their benevolence. McCarthy operated in a very tough area and was likely a hard and ruthless man. Had it become local knowledge that he turned a blind eye to rent arrears he would have had a queue a mile long at his door!

**Mr. Crundall**

I agree. I have never heard of someone who owned property that did not have immediate access to his or her house, flat, or building. I doubt if anyone else here has either.

If Kelly, as you suggest possibly lost two keys, McCarthy, I feel, would still have had one.

I also agree that if McCarthy was a 'touch', people would have been pretty eager to live in whatever house or hovel he or his wife rented out specifically for the suggested condition that he was easy on people who got behind in their rent.

I think you made good points, f.w.i.w, Sean.
Thanks, How!

I do try.

My very best wishes,

Sean.
Sean Crundall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 04:20 PM   #782
Wicker Man
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Poster View Post
Im not so sure about that Wickerman.

When would a headstone go up? A year after is the tradition in most Irish Catholic funerals. Perhaps interest waned in the intervening year as the Public outrage and sympathy moved onto something equally ridiculous as Public outrage tends to do.
All my in-laws are Catholic, and one of their relatives is a stonemason who does headstones. He told them the ground has to settle before a heavy stone can be placed on the grave, that is what the year is for. But an actual year is arbitrary, in some cases three months will do, it all depends on the soil.
(The only reason I am offering the above is because I had not heard about this before, so I asked my in-laws.)

But anyway, I get your point, the headstone is not installed for some length of time.
" observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.
Wicker Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 05:57 PM   #783
Wicker Man
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Hello Jon
I've found the relevant exchange on Casebook, and I can't agree with your take on it. For one thing, there was no circularity in my argument. For another, I'm not at all biased against the Daily News but, in this particular instance, its report of Lewis's story was quite clearly mixed up, hence unreliable. This conclusion was arrived at following an analysis of the evidence, and was emphatically neither borne out of, nor influenced by, any bias on my part.
Ok, not to detract from this thread, so I replied to you back on CB.
" observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.
Wicker Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 07:42 AM   #784
Sam Flynn
Owl Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicker Man View Post
Ok, not to detract from this thread, so I replied to you back on CB.
Thanks, Jon.

"Suche Nullen"
(F. Nietzsche)

Sam Flynn is online now   Reply With Quote