Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Persons Of Interest or Actual Suspects > James Maybrick > The Maybrick Diary Forum

The Maybrick Diary Forum Restricted forum for any and all discussion pertaining to the Maybrick Diary.

Old December 29th, 2017, 03:10 PM   #31
Mr. Poster
Twit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
If some of the phrases used in the diary indeed place it in the latter half (or quarter) of the 20th century, then there can be no other conclusion about the ink tests. It's as straightforward as that.
None of the phrases do or have placed it there. Despite your persistent earnest assurances that your analyses of stylistic aspects place them there, often in the face of documented, evidenced occurrences of them in time periods you assured us your stylistic analyses indicated s not realistic.

And on and on you go.

P
"Chance hasn't yet peached on Jack the Ripper.If she ever does, it will probably be cause for grotesque disappointment among the Ripperologists, who get as much joy from attacking one another's lunacies, as from any problems originally posed by the Whitechapel murderer" R. Gowers, The Independant, Saturday, 31 December 1994
Mr. Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 04:46 PM   #32
SirRobertAnderson
Researcher / Senior Moderator

Quote:
Sorry, Bob, but who's to say that the settings on the documentary and/or your TV screen were the same as your camera?

I wish we had a proper, controlled, set of images we could compare.
My God Gareth we are talking about what would have been a bluish ink changing to what we see today. The Diary ink is for all intents and purposes Diamine ink EXCEPT for the artificial dye and preservatives. Robert Smith wrote a entire page in Diamine for his recent book to show what the Diary ink would have looked like "fresh". We are not talking about subtle changes.

And yes there are some photos from back in the day. I have examined them in Robert Smith's office. They look precisely like my screen shots from the documentary. I used the screen shots because anyone with a copy of the DVD could therefore easily see for themselves and verify my claims.

It is impossible for the Diary to have been written to order, so to speak. In truth, the proposed scenario where Barrett had to first find out if there would be a market for Jack's diary always struck me as insane and inane. Of course there would have been intense interest in such an artifact. You'd have to be an idiot to think otherwise.

Finally, I have attached a screen grab from Beyond Reasonable Doubt. Anyone who examined the Diary at York 2012 would agree the ink appears unchanged.
Attached Images
File Type: png Beyond Reasonable Doubt II.PNG (781.8 KB, 34 views)
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 09:39 AM   #33
Caroline Brown
Author

Quote:
Not at all, Caz.

"I seen" and other similar clangers in the diary are decidedly, and objectively indicative of a certain type of writer.
Sorry to disappoint you Gareth, but "I seen" is not remotely a clanger. It's well known Liverpudlian vernacular, and indicative of nobody in particular, except someone familiar with the vernacular. I have personal experience of Liverpudlians from working to middle class using it in both informal writing and conversation.

Next.

Love,

Caz
X
Old January 2nd, 2018, 09:43 AM   #34
Caroline Brown
Author

Quote:
If some of the phrases used in the diary indeed place its authorship in the latter quarter of the 20th century, then there can be no other conclusion about the ink tests. It's as straightforward as that.

(Edit: For clarity, I did mean the ink dating tests, specifically.)
Of course, 'if' is the operative word here, Gareth.

Love,

Caz
X
Old January 2nd, 2018, 09:54 AM   #35
Caroline Brown
Author

Quote:
Sorry, Bob, but who's to say that the settings on the documentary and/or your TV screen were the same as your camera?

I wish we had a proper, controlled, set of images we could compare.
While I understand why Robert Smith's own eyeballs would not be enough to persuade you that the ink has not changed one bit since he first saw it in 1992, I now doubt that anything, not even the strongest documented evidence mounted on wild horses, would drag you away from the comfort of your own subjective opinions of the diary's age.

You can take additional comfort from the fact that you are not alone, Gareth.

Love,

Caz
X