Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Victims > The Prostitution Forum

The Prostitution Forum Forum for discussion of all facets of LVP prostitution.

Old January 8th, 2017, 08:50 AM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default The Harlot's Handbook ( Rubenhold, BBC )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMvMnmhRtGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXgrutnhT9M

Historian Hallie Rubenhold reveals the story behind the 18th century's most infamous book - Harris's Lists, a catalogue describing the talents and attributes of London's prostitutes. Created by a pimp, a prostitute and a poet, the Lists became an instant bestseller - even though they contained lurid and often disturbing descriptions of the lives of the common courtesans. Rubenhold uses the details found within the Lists to produce a vivid depiction of the steamy underside of Georgian life.
Old January 8th, 2017, 08:57 AM   #2
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMvMnmhRtGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXgrutnhT9M

Historian Hallie Rubenhold reveals the story behind the 18th century's most infamous book - Harris's Lists, a catalogue describing the talents and attributes of London's prostitutes. Created by a pimp, a prostitute and a poet, the Lists became an instant bestseller - even though they contained lurid and often disturbing descriptions of the lives of the common courtesans. Rubenhold uses the details found within the Lists to produce a vivid depiction of the steamy underside of Georgian life.
This is the lady who's written the 'first' book about the C5, right?
Gary Barnett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 09:30 AM   #3
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Exactly, G-man.

While she might know more than the average bear about prostitutes in the Georgian period....she apparently, as Debs suggested earlier, hasn't done her homework regarding the work people have done to bring the victim histories to the surface. In this phase of Ripper research, as opposed to the 1888-1929 period or post-War period up to 1988, most of the research and knowledge we have at our disposal about the victims has surfaced. She should know that.

Even if she took a cursory glance at the JTR Museum fracas of a year or so ago, she'd undoubtedly have run into a mention of that work in one of the several newspapers which covered the affair ...whether in Casebook dissertations, Forums threads, or Neal Shelden's seminal book.
Old January 8th, 2017, 10:59 AM   #4
Gary Barnett

I must say, her blurb is a bit suspect - the comment about the women 'rubbing shoulders' with Charles Dickens for example. I'd be very surprised if the nearest any of the women got to Dickens wasn't simply being in the same city in the same century. Of course, there's nothing wrong with using Dickens's writings to provide some sort of context (we've all done it) but the way she words it implies more of a connection than I suspect there actually was.

But who knows, she may have done some proper nitty-gritty research and surprise us with some revelations. I'd personally like to know more about Kate Eddowes' time in Wolverhampton.

I wonder if she really has put the book together without making use of Neal Shelden's work or the work of various researchers on the forums.
Gary Barnett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 11:25 AM   #5
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Gary:

That would be a neat trick if she has circumvented previous research. But I think somewhere along the line, she's seen what Neal, Debra Arif, Rob Clack, and others have provided ( just to name a few and not to underestimate the efforts of others, as well).

She'd be my main squeeze if she found out more on Clay Pipe Mackenzie.