Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Motives and Reasons > 19. Just for Jolly

19. Just for Jolly “I will cut thy throat, one time or other, in fair terms; that is the humour of it.” - The Life of King Henry the Fifth, Act II, Scene I

Old February 19th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #1
Marco Franzoi
Former Member

Default Jack the Iconoclast

Some serial killers make sport of police and authority. Hillside Stranglers. Zodiac. Jack?....Working the same area again and again while others would leave when the heat is on. Sending letters. Posed bodies. Bodies left in exposed areas. Etc.

I would like to examine the exceptionally police-unfriendly from the perspective of their extreme efforts to embarrass the police force. Who are they? Is there a pattern? What can it tell us about Jack?
Old February 19th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #2
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Herr Franzoi:

Thats a good idea...that the Ripper,in addition to the violence towards the women...also was filled with a lot of animosity to the police and that his site selections were intended to make the police "look bad".

Its not really a new idea....but one that often gets swept aside and I'm glad your Austrian arse brought back up for consideration.

I often wondered about these site selections ( like everyone else,I'm sure ) and why he seems to have taken that much risk and didn't select 'safer" ones. It wouldn't have taken that much effort.

If the view that the women took the Ripper to the locations is true, they did so with "security" in mind and probably felt those areas ( Chapman and Eddowes ) would be best for a sexual liason.

However.... and this is what has "bothered" me for some time now,Marco...

If thats true with Nichols...then unless the Ripper expected the gate to be open on Bucks Row, it may be that this murder was a "blitz" kill and there was no sexual liason lined up prior to her murder.

Stride (assuming that she was a C5 victim...and I personally think she was waiting for someone,not necessarily the Ripper,but was killed by the Ripper ) was killed in a fashion which may also be considered a "blitz" killing.

Could it be that the methods of murder ( intended sexual liason and blitzing, if the latter is possibly true ) were less important than their locations ?

Their locations may have been primary ( for effect...and to whom?).

Who looks "bad" in all of this? The neighborhood people or the police?

Who has a bigger face to throw egg on?

Back to you,Herr Obersturhmbannfuhrer....
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Franzoi View Post
Some serial killers make sport of police and authority. Hillside Stranglers. Zodiac. Jack?....Working the same area again and again while others would leave when the heat is on. Sending letters. Posed bodies. Bodies left in exposed areas. Etc.

I would like to examine the exceptionally police-unfriendly from the perspective of their extreme efforts to embarrass the police force. Who are they? Is there a pattern? What can it tell us about Jack?
Hello Marco

What you are describing is the stereotypical view that Jack the Ripper wrote taunting letters to the authorities, but most of us who have studied the crimes for some time know that there is scant evidence that the actual killer did write letters. It is even uncertain if the graffito on the wall in Goulston Street was written by the killer or if the piece of Catherine Eddowes' apron was only left coincidentally close to an piece of graffiti seemingly critical of the Jews. The police made a basic mistake after they received the Dear Boss communications at the end of September 1888, releasing the text of those letters, usually viewed to be hoaxes possibly by a journalist, and printing them up on broadsides which opened the floodgates to a host of copycat hoax letters.

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Marco Franzoi
This message has been deleted by .
Old February 19th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #4
Mike Covell
Former Member

When Peter Sutcliffe (The Yorkshire Ripper) was carrying out his campaign of terror the police were sent tapes from "The Ripper".

These featured a Geordie who was carrying out a hoax, which set the police back and resulted in the Real Yorkshire Ripper to claim more victims!

The recent Suffolk Prostitute murders resulted in five verified dead girls, two of which were posed in a cruciform, two were near water and the fifth was left in a bush!

It is rumoured that the killer was trying to create a large crucifix on a map!!

I think i have heard that one before!

Mike
Mike Covell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Marco Franzoi
This message has been deleted by .
Old March 9th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #5
Kim Ross
Former Member

Unhappy Blitz kill and C5 victim

Hi. Can you explain these to me?

Bye
Old March 9th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #6
Raven
Former Member

Hi Kim, the C5 (5 Canonical victims) are Nichols,Chapman,Stride, Eddowes & Kelly, A blitz attack is a method of attack used by a serial killer which is quick and ferocious - I'm sure there will be lots of responses to your post Kim, which are more eloquent than mine :-) but I hope this helps.
Old March 9th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Dear Kim:

A "C5" or "canonical five " victim are the 5 victims ( Nichols,Chapman,Stride,Eddowes,and Kelly). The concept of 5 victims emanated from Melville Macnaghten. This "C5" list excludes other murder victims such as Emma Smith and Martha Tabram, to name but two.

A "blitz" killing in the sense that I used it here would refer to the concept that there was no expressed intent on the part of the Ripper to engage in a sexual liason with the victim...and he flat out assaulted and then murdered them. Because the victims were prostitutes, the mainstream belief is that a sexual liason had to occur or most likely would occur, due to the probability that the women were desperate for doss money and were out that late for that purpose. Stride's situation is slightly different ( to me...) in her reasons for being where she was at that time.

Even though I agree that they probably were out that late for those reasons, there exists the possibility that in 3 of the "C5" murders that the killer skipped the foreplay and simply assaulted-murdered them. I refer to the Nichols, Stride, and Eddowes murders.

I of course cannot prove that there were any definite "blitz" style murders...but I think its something to at least consider.