Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > 2017 Jack The Ripper Crime Conference Liverpool

2017 Jack The Ripper Crime Conference Liverpool Conference Co-ordinated By Rick Cobb

Old December 6th, 2016, 08:54 AM   #1
Mr. Poster
Twit

Default Jack The Ripper Crime Conference 2017: Liverpool

Hi ho

Next year there is this crime Conference in Liverpool in September.

Which according to the blurb will have a Maybrickian slant due to its being the 25th anniversary of the Diary.

Does anyone know anything about any New Maybrick stuff being presented or who any of teh speakers will be (those who have something to say about Diary land)?

I may possible be in the UK at that time and was debating With myself about whether or not to wander along.

But only if there are some interesting Maybrick type talks on offer.

Im not interested in the design of policemens whistles or such like.

Thanks in advance

P
"Chance hasn't yet peached on Jack the Ripper.If she ever does, it will probably be cause for grotesque disappointment among the Ripperologists, who get as much joy from attacking one another's lunacies, as from any problems originally posed by the Whitechapel murderer" R. Gowers, The Independant, Saturday, 31 December 1994
Mr. Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #2
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Thanks for the mention, Lars....
Old December 6th, 2016, 11:38 PM   #3
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Poster View Post
Hi ho

Next year there is this crime Conference in Liverpool in September.

Which according to the blurb will have a Maybrickian slant due to its being the 25th anniversary of the Diary. [Emphasis mine. CTG]

Does anyone know anything about any New Maybrick stuff being presented or who any of teh speakers will be (those who have something to say about Diary land)?

I may possible be in the UK at that time and was debating With myself about whether or not to wander along.

But only if there are some interesting Maybrick type talks on offer.

Im not interested in the design of policemens whistles or such like.

Thanks in advance

P
I don't believe the conference will be focused just on Maybrick. Far from it. In fact, it will not be 25 years of the Diary in 2017 but only 24 -- Shirley Harrison's The Diary of Jack the Ripper having been published in 1993.

I am told that the dates for the Liverpool conference are Friday, September 22 through Sunday, September 24, 2017.
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2016, 02:37 AM   #4
Mr. Poster
Twit

Theres a blurb on the website that its 25 years, that one full day will be diary and many of the activities seem to be Maybrick.
Isaid it will have a maybrickian slant.
1 day out of 2.5 qualifies as a slant? A dash perhaps. A hint of. A dollop?
P
"Chance hasn't yet peached on Jack the Ripper.If she ever does, it will probably be cause for grotesque disappointment among the Ripperologists, who get as much joy from attacking one another's lunacies, as from any problems originally posed by the Whitechapel murderer" R. Gowers, The Independant, Saturday, 31 December 1994
Old December 7th, 2016, 04:52 AM   #5
Mr. Poster
Twit

And here is the blurb:

Quote:
Welcome to the official Jack the Ripper Crime Conference 2017. This year we will be in LIVERPOOL for 3 full days of Ripperology, true crime and history. The Crime conference will run from Friday 22nd to Sunday 24th September 2017.
As many crime enthusiasts are aware Liverpool has an infamous link with Ripperology as it is the home of the supposed Jack the Ripper diary which may have been written by Liverpool cotton merchant James Maybrick. This year marks the 25th Anniversary of the diary coming to light and we will focus one of the days events on a re-visit to this most intriguing mysteries. We hope you will join us this September!
And at least some of the activities:

Quote:
The diary of Jack the Ripper: A 25th Anniversary

Court room used in the Florence Maybrick trial

Visiting key locations in the James Maybrick story
I think they mean the discovery (or whatever) of the Diary in 1992 - not the publication of the Harrisson book a year later.

Eiither way, sounds like a good day (note: I said day) out and should the speakers be half way interesting...... I might try to attend.

P
Old December 7th, 2016, 04:57 AM   #6
Mr. Poster
Twit

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Fran View Post
You and me both, Mr P.

A DNA test should be done on the Graham's to prove if they are of American colonial descent and related to Florence Maybrick.

One of Jim's claimed descendant from Sarah Robertson went on AncestryDNA to see if they were a match with an MJK candidate's descendant. She's connected with a Liverpool cotton merchant and had a son in 1887 and disappeared, and I believe there is a question of paternity.

If the family in St. Helens can be persuaded to talk about their missing MJK, that would create interest.
Given the hoohaa about the Kosminski stains and so on and so forth.....I doubt that I would be too impressed with anything that comes from DNA analysis in relation to the ripper.

In relation to this....
Quote:
One of Jim's claimed descendant from Sarah Robertson went on AncestryDNA to see if they were a match with an MJK candidate's descendant. She's connected with a Liverpool cotton merchant and had a son in 1887 and disappeared, and I believe there is a question of paternity.
Why would there be some relationship between an offspring of Jim and some woman and the offspring of a possible Kelly candidate?

Sometimes I feel super thick when it comes to this Ancestry stuff but in this instance I do not understand why there would be a genetic link between a Jim descendant and a Kelly descendant. Why would there be? I dont get it.

p
Old December 7th, 2016, 01:13 PM   #7
Aristillus
Forensic Photographer

Pardon my ignorance, but why is a crime conference going to discuss the Maybrickian hoax? It is not relevant to the facts of the Ripper except that it takes away from fact and leads us into the fog of fiction.

Don't get me wrong, please yourselves and fill your boots with all sorts of fictional tangents, but in the least, do the Ripper's victims justice and disavow poppycock to frill the lace.
Old December 7th, 2016, 01:44 PM   #8
Mr. Poster
Twit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristillus View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but why is a crime conference going to discuss the Maybrickian hoax? It is not relevant to the facts of the Ripper except that it takes away from fact and leads us into the fog of fiction.

Don't get me wrong, please yourselves and fill your boots with all sorts of fictional tangents, but in the least, do the Ripper's victims justice and disavow poppycock to frill the lace.
If youre going to follow that argument, the you,ll be very limited in your scope.

If you want to talk about respect for victims, you should complain about the conference itself, not the Diary.

Because it has a nice shot of attendees dressed up as jolly whores and, presumably, rippers of various ilk.

You need to pixk your targets more carefully if fighting for victim respect is your objective.
P
Old December 7th, 2016, 02:17 PM   #9
Aristillus
Forensic Photographer

Mr Poster (Twit):
Quote:
If you're going to follow that argument, then you'll be very limited in your scope.
The scope of 'Ripperologists' is set by the facts of the case. The facts are the parameters, and to do both the case and ourselves justice, we ought not to step outside those parameters. Just saying.

Quote:
If you want to talk about respect for victims, you should complain about the conference itself, not the Diary.
I was under the impression that I did, but of course, not explicitly. Was it too subtle for you?

Quote:
Because it has a nice shot of attendees dressed up as jolly whores and presumably, rippers of various ilk.
Ah yes, cosplay, a very contemporaneous sport. Trivialise much?

Quote:
You need to pick your targets more carefully if fighting for victim respect is your objective.
I wasn't picking targets, I was expounding an opinion. Perhaps, on the anniversary of their murders attendees of the conference would like to dress their children in the same or similar garb as Holly Marie Wells and Jessica Aimee Chapman? We burn effigies of Guy Fawkes on November 5th, a man hung, drawn and quartered I believe.

Better still. Why not just go around the cemeteries and dance on the graves?
Old December 7th, 2016, 04:26 PM   #10
Mr. Poster
Twit

Im too old and too much of a twit to engage with you and your rather odd posting style.

Have a good one!

p