Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Jack The Ripper : The Definitive Story

Jack The Ripper : The Definitive Story Produced & Directed by Jeff Leahy and written by Paul Begg & John Bennett. The making of the first documentary ever written and produced by Ripperologists.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default Questions Regarding The Swanson Marginalia From "The Definitive JTR" Documentary

Thread for discussing the marginalia as shown on the second episode of "JTR The Definitive Story".
Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:50 PM   #2
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

If John Bennett wouldn't mind, I'd be glad to put up the scan of the page for one and all to see.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Stephen Thomas
Non Compos Mentis

Default Ain't Cluedo great?

It was Mr Brown in the library with the red felt tipped pen.
Stephen Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:26 PM   #4
Jeff Leahy
TV Producer/Director

Hi Howard

I'm awaiting decision on the subject.

Clearly I'm keen to avoid any accusation that BEL did anything but treat the Marginalia with utmost respect and care while in our possession.

All the examinations undertaken by us with High Def camera's and UV light..

Suggested that it looked exactly as the Swanson Family claim..

There will be those however who have an agenda to suggest tampering and faking and I think we should all be ready and aware of that interest.

No doubt this thread will run...I will try and keep contact while in the USA day after tomorrow...

Jeff x
Jeff Leahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #5
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
Hi Howard

I'm awaiting decision on the subject.

Clearly I'm keen to avoid any accusation that BEL did anything but treat the Marginalia with utmost respect and care while in our possession.

All the examinations undertaken by us with High Def camera's and UV light..

Suggested that it looked exactly as the Swanson Family claim..

There will be those however who have an agenda to suggest tampering and faking and I think we should all be ready and aware of that interest.

No doubt this thread will run...I will try and keep contact while in the USA day after tomorrow...

Jeff x
There are no accusations that can be made against BEL because it can be proved beyond question that the red markings were on the book when it came into our charge. Meantime, speculation is cheap and currently serving no purpose.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #6
SirRobertAnderson
Researcher / Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
There are no accusations that can be made against BEL because it can be proved beyond question that the red markings were on the book when it came into our charge. Meantime, speculation is cheap and currently serving no purpose.
Just goes to show you that no good deed goes unpunished in Ripperdom.

Think of these questions as trying to open an umbrella in a sh!tstorm :

1) Has anyone remotely accused -even through innuendo - that BEL has tampered with the book? It would be insanity to launch such an accusation, but if it's out there I'd like to know.

2) Has some of Swanson's underlinings been gone over to "reinforce" the fading pencil marks ? Am I correct in believing the Marginalia has been untouched ?
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #7
SirRobertAnderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Leahy View Post

Jeff x
Please PM me with your contact info and I will do the same!
Old January 24th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
Just goes to show you that no good deed goes unpunished in Ripperdom.

Think of these questions as trying to open an umbrella in a sh!tstorm :

1) Has anyone remotely accused -even through innuendo - that BEL has tampered with the book? It would be insanity to launch such an accusation, but if it's out there I'd like to know.

2) Has some of Swanson's underlinings been gone over to "reinforce" the fading pencil marks ? Am I correct in believing the Marginalia has been untouched ?
Nobody to my knowledge has said that, Robert, although very vague and tasteless insinuations along those lines have been made in 'the other place', people who have clearly taken residence in la-la land asking whether there are red markings on the Aberconway version of the memoranda.

The red lines have absolutely no bearing on the authenticity of the marginalia and efforts to suggest otherwise is nonsense.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #9
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

It's not clear on the documentary in regard to the underlining SRA, but the actual marginalia appears untouched

I'm only curious as to the cirumstances in which the red lines were added

Seems an untoward thing to do with such an important document

Almost funny in fact

Surely if someone allows you access to the document, the last thing you would do is get your ruler and felt pen out!
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #10
SirRobertAnderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
The red lines have absolutely no bearing on the authenticity of the marginalia and efforts to suggest otherwise is nonsense.
I'd suggest that if one wanted to monkey around with the marginalia, the VERY LAST THING I'd do is make some conspicuous red lines in the book. But of course as we know from another infamous document Ripper forgers are all very stupid and we are all very clever as we see to the heart of their shabby hoaxes with ease.

Gag me with a spoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post

Seems an untoward thing to do with such an important document

Almost funny in fact

Surely if someone allows you access to the document, the last thing you would do is get your ruler and felt pen out!
I agree, but the problem is that we regard this as a sacred text; the rest of the world doesn't.