Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Jack The Ripper : The Definitive Story

Jack The Ripper : The Definitive Story Produced & Directed by Jeff Leahy and written by Paul Begg & John Bennett. The making of the first documentary ever written and produced by Ripperologists.

Old January 31st, 2011, 10:31 AM   #101
SirRobertAnderson
Researcher / Senior Moderator

Rob has a great post over on the Casebook:

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread...344#post163344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
Hi Paul the above quote is from Rob House re: the purple coloured pencil.

The pionty I was trying to make, that given my own observations we should be cautious about the colour which is prominent under certain light conditions but could be easily over looked in other lighting conditions.

Jeff
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:53 AM   #102
Jeff Leahy
TV Producer/Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
Rob has a great post over on the Casebook:

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread...344#post163344
Yes Most interesting. I wish I'd seen this before viewing the Marginalia..

The writing in the bottom left corner is now very faded as Paul says..

However my opinion (and I'm not an expert) is that it was written with a very hard sharpe pencil that cut deep into the paper fibre. Even showing signs under high magnification that the pencil tip was braking ie not a smooth layering of grafite as with the other pencil.

Yours Jeff
Jeff Leahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:09 PM   #103
Paul

Quote:
Yes Most interesting. I wish I'd seen this before viewing the Marginalia..

The writing in the bottom left corner is now very faded as Paul says..

However my opinion (and I'm not an expert) is that it was written with a very hard sharpe pencil that cut deep into the paper fibre. Even showing signs under high magnification that the pencil tip was braking ie not a smooth layering of grafite as with the other pencil.

Yours Jeff
Yes, it is excellent. Maybe he'd let us use it on the DVD?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:14 PM   #104
Paul

Quote:
Hi Paul the above quote is from Rob House re: the purple coloured pencil.

The pionty I was trying to make, that given my own observations we should be cautious about the colour which is prominent under certain light conditions but could be easily over looked in other lighting conditions.

Jeff
Ah, I surmised as much when I belatedly saw "RH" after I had pressed "submit reply", otherwise I wondered what you were telling me I was wrong about and what bearing the different coloured pencils had on the faded marginal writing. Sadly, the threads in the 'other place' about the marginalia have plumbed the depths of nonsense and I fear that Rob is wasting his time.
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:29 PM   #105
Jeff Leahy
TV Producer/Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Ah, I surmised as much when I belatedly saw "RH" after I had pressed "submit reply", otherwise I wondered what you were telling me I was wrong about and what bearing the different coloured pencils had on the faded marginal writing. Sadly, the threads in the 'other place' about the marginalia have plumbed the depths of nonsense and I fear that Rob is wasting his time.
Paul I wouldn't presume to say you were wrong.

But there were a number of things that struck me. As I say I'm no expert so its just opinion.

But the purple colour was very distinct in daylight. Yet our cameras (Presumably much better quality than anything previously used) were struggling to define the purple colour in tungston light.

And as mentioned the writing in the bottom left seemed to cut quite deeply into the page.

I thought Robs analysis of how he thought it written most interesting and if it had of been available at the time an interesting idea to follow...

Actually i think my piont was, its not surprising that the purple colour was missed early on, if the examineers were using artificial light rather than day light...

Trust u well things going slow here..something up with Nitros..

Yours Jeff
Jeff Leahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:41 PM   #106
Phil Carter
Author

Default Lighting

Hello all,

I do not know whether this has been discussed before or nay, but ask something that may be pertinent to the faded pencil annotations.

Do we know under what lighting conditions the book was whilst under display at the museum? The strength of light used? The distance from the light source to the display? Whether the displayed article was under a specific type of glass or material that is designed to protect pencil writing on paper from fading over time? Do we know whether the covered book was left at an open page each day of display?

Whether any of these answers can help I do not know. All I do know is that many museums have specific lighting etc as questioned above for protection of their artifacts.

I also believe, though am not sure, that room temperature and humidity is also taken into consideration.

I thank you for your considerations and hopefully comments upon this subject.

best wishes

Phil
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:28 PM   #107
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Carter View Post
Hello all,

I do not know whether this has been discussed before or nay, but ask something that may be pertinent to the faded pencil annotations.

Do we know under what lighting conditions the book was whilst under display at the museum? The strength of light used? The distance from the light source to the display? Whether the displayed article was under a specific type of glass or material that is designed to protect pencil writing on paper from fading over time? Do we know whether the covered book was left at an open page each day of display?

Whether any of these answers can help I do not know. All I do know is that many museums have specific lighting etc as questioned above for protection of their artifacts.

I also believe, though am not sure, that room temperature and humidity is also taken into consideration.

I thank you for your considerations and hopefully comments upon this subject.

best wishes

Phil
Yes, I do know how the book is displayed. The Crime Museum takes extreme care of its artefacts. In this case the book is in a protectivecase and only the endpaper notations are on display, thus the marginal writings would not fade as a consequence of the book being on display. That writings have faded due to two decades of the book being opened and closed to that page, hence the acetate being put in place. There are absolutely no grounds that I know of for suspecting that the book has suffered in any way whilst it has been in the custody of the Crime Museum.