Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Jack The Ripper : The Definitive Story

Jack The Ripper : The Definitive Story Produced & Directed by Jeff Leahy and written by Paul Begg & John Bennett. The making of the first documentary ever written and produced by Ripperologists.

Old January 25th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #21
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
It is our production company, Chris, along with Jake and Paul Dixon, and it stands for Bulls Eye Lantern.
Paul

I see Monty got there before me. As you'd know if you read Ripperologist, Chris, Jeff and I had been kicking the idea of a Jack documentary around for some time and eventually went to the History Channel to pitch the idea with Jake's graphics. History bought the project, but couldn't fund all of it, so we pitched it to FIVE and they eventually did a co-production deal with History. With Paul Dixon, whose studios are local to us and who is a brilliant Director of Photography, we then set up a production company with all the people such a lawyers and accountants and pretty girls over whom I could lord it and tell to fetch me coffee. Other people were brought together like set designers, builders, make-up artists, costumes, and some bloke whose name I forget to do the script. Anyway, as a working title for the company we chose Bullseye Lantern - throwing light on histories mysteries (catchy, eh?) - and it kind of stuck.
Thanks for the explanation, Paul. I did read your editorial in the Rip about being involved in the making of the documentary, although I don't recall seeing the name BEL or Bullseye Lantern before.

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #22
SirRobertAnderson
Researcher / Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by How Brown View Post
Courtesy and copyright of John Bennett
Thanks to Mr. Bennett.

Ya know, How - I can see the hows and whys of the defacement being a big deal to some parties....but I can't see how this really matters in terms of the authenticity of the SM. People that doubted it before will see what they want to see, but I think it is making a mountain out of a molehill and another sad example of no good deed going unpunished in Ripperdom.

Instead of talking about the documentary and its many brilliant aspects, we've tabled discussion of that for banalities about the Case of the Red Felt and the Mystery of the Retraced Underlining.
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #23
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default Close Up

Bob:

I agree.
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #24
SirRobertAnderson

Impressive straight line underlining. Do you think it was done free hand ? I couldn't come close.
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #25
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G. View Post
Thanks for the explanation, Paul. I did read your editorial in the Rip about being involved in the making of the documentary, although I don't recall seeing the name BEL or Bullseye Lantern before.

Chris
I know you read it, Chris. I was just having a little joke and giving the Rip a little plug.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #26
Jeff Leahy
TV Producer/Director

Default The Eagle has landed

Hi Guys

Im in New York!

Howard was telling Porkies its bigger and better than I ever imagined

Ièm unable to conect to me email at present and my lap top is not working so JtrForums is my only contact with the out side world

Ièm staying at the Marriott Marguis in Time Square Room 3512...which makes Picadili Circus look like a fairground attaction..its big..

Ièll try and phone you from my room at some piont Robert...

The conference doesnt get underway untill 4 pm...then heads into drinks so Ièm not certain what timeÉ

Theres snow here but it doesnt seem to stop everything like it does in England...obviously a different type of snow British Rail havnt come accross..

Ièm unable to connect with you yet Paul..so any questions will have to be here for now...

To my shame I bought a McDonalds in Time square last night, couldnt resist..everyone apart from the shuttle bus driver have been very welcoming...even the girl on the checkout turned out to be an Iranian documentary film maker...so in my element.

Hoping to Meet with Robert of dinner or drinks

Yours Jeff yankhy

PS Ièm borrowing a conference lap top will keep checking in and report if anything interesting is said in the world of History documentary Making 2011
Jeff Leahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #27
Jeff Leahy
TV Producer/Director

Default Marginalia Observation

Having just noticed a plea by a certain person for freedom of speach and open debate

Ièd thought Ièd piont out a couple of observations that I made:

Firstly the purple tinge to the pencil; This is clearly a soft HB of some kind. My observation was that the colour was clearly more prominant in Day light than under tungsten lighting. Under UV lighting of course it was practically un-noticable.

But this might explain why it was observed clearly on one occassion and not on another...I wonder if Stuarts observation was in Day light..

Secondly the corner writing was clearly made with a very hard pencil...although the colouring is faint the marks cut quite deeply into the paper and this is easily observed under UV light.

This pencil was clearly difficult to write with, and I wonder if it might have even broken forcing transferer to another pencil...

Yours Jeff
Jeff Leahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #28
SirRobertAnderson

I'm off to see the Decemberists tonight but have tomorrow night (Thursday) free if that works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
Hi Guys

Im in New York!

Howard was telling Porkies its bigger and better than I ever imagined

Ièm unable to conect to me email at present and my lap top is not working so JtrForums is my only contact with the out side world

Ièm staying at the Marriott Marguis in Time Square Room 3512...which makes Picadili Circus look like a fairground attaction..its big..

Ièll try and phone you from my room at some piont Robert...

The conference doesnt get underway untill 4 pm...then heads into drinks so Ièm not certain what timeÉ

Theres snow here but it doesnt seem to stop everything like it does in England...obviously a different type of snow British Rail havnt come accross..

Ièm unable to connect with you yet Paul..so any questions will have to be here for now...

To my shame I bought a McDonalds in Time square last night, couldnt resist..everyone apart from the shuttle bus driver have been very welcoming...even the girl on the checkout turned out to be an Iranian documentary film maker...so in my element.

Hoping to Meet with Robert of dinner or drinks

Yours Jeff yankhy

PS Ièm borrowing a conference lap top will keep checking in and report if anything interesting is said in the world of History documentary Making 2011
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #29
Paul

Jeff,
Can you please empty your personal mailbox, then you'll be able to receive personal messages re business, particularly sale to Italian TV.
Paul
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #30
Mike Covell
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
Ièm staying at the Marriott
Is that the Trevor Marriott? Watch out for them foreign sailors!
Mike Covell is offline   Reply With Quote