Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Jack The Ripper : The Definitive Story

Jack The Ripper : The Definitive Story Produced & Directed by Jeff Leahy and written by Paul Begg & John Bennett. The making of the first documentary ever written and produced by Ripperologists.

Old February 1st, 2011, 11:30 AM   #11
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G. View Post
Eh? With due deference to Stewart, whom I greatly admire, I should think most people who know have studied the era would know that use of the typewriter, as with the telephone, was a rarity in 1888. And also a glance at the Stewart and Keith's Ultimate would make it clear that Swanson hand wrote his reports. I have yet to see Jack The Ripper: The Definitive Story but anticipate it to be a cut above most Ripper documentaries. I do though agree with Jeff that few TV documentaries are without some lapses.

Chris
Not so much a lapse, Chris, as a deliberate decision. This is television, a land where sometimes visual interest and dramatic effect takes precedent over precisian accuracy. We had several writing scenes and had to do something to make them visually different. Giving Swanson a typewriter was one way of doing it.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 11:47 AM   #12
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Not so much a lapse, Chris, as a deliberate decision. This is television, a land where sometimes visual interest and dramatic effect takes precedent over precisian accuracy. We had several writing scenes and had to do something to make them visually different. Giving Swanson a typewriter was one way of doing it.
Fair enough, Paul. Good answer. Of course working with television one is working with the demands of the medium. So there is the case for historical accuracy as with any docudrama, but also the need for variety in terms of dramatization.

A little crit of my own. And this is something that I am critical of in terms of British newspapers, too. British newspaper articles are often not written in the "pyramid" style of American journalism, stating the facts of the situation of the story that is being covered, to "fill in" anyone coming fresh to the story.

Similarly, with this documentary and the discussion here, it seems that everyone knows what "CGI" stands for but I don't. I saw the term "CGI" used in the proofs of the Ripperologist 118 review of Jack The Ripper: The Definitive Story and I assumed it might have been a typo for CSI (crime scene investigation). As of now, I can only conclude that "CGI" might be a term peculiar to the British Isles. What does it stand for? This of course again shows the danger of using abbreviations or acronyms because not everyone will know what they mean and a number of such terms can have multiple meanings.

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:03 PM   #13
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

Ahhh that explains it thanks

CGI is computer generated imagery Chris - very prevalent in the movie industry of today
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:05 PM   #14
Tracy Ianson
Researcher

Hi Chris

I believe it stands for computer generated images - but I may be wrong. I believe it is when an actor stands in front of a green screen and details are added in after by computer. That is my understanding although I have no experience in the matter.

Tj

Lol Nemo is a lot quicker in typing than me.

Last edited by Tracy Ianson; February 1st, 2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: crossed posts
Tracy Ianson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:15 PM   #15
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

Hi Tracey

The computer generated imagery is actually that which is put on the area of the green screen, which doesn't necessarily have to be green

The green is a masking colour, not present on the person in front of the screen

When processing the video, a computer can easily separate the actor from the stark green colour at the back - and therefore it can place a separate picture or video feed into that part of the picture which is green

The art is to get the perspective correct, of the camera looking at the actor, and the background image behind him

A good example in the documentary is the panning shot across the rear of 29 Hanbury St, the movement of the background image at the rear matching the movement of the camera in the fore

Gollum in Lord of the Rings is a good application of CGI

CGI is taken as referring, in the main, to the Hollywood style graphics in films such as Avatar, but computer games and artwork are also CGI
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:26 PM   #16
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

PS
The green screen method can be used to put normal videos or pictures in the background rather than just CGI

I have some PC programs that can do this and I planned to make some fun stuff with the kids, putting them in a cartoon world or in the Bahamas etc, but I haven't got around to it yet
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:48 PM   #17
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
Ahhh that explains it thanks

CGI is computer generated imagery Chris - very prevalent in the movie industry of today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Ianson View Post
Hi Chris

I believe it stands for computer generated images - but I may be wrong. I believe it is when an actor stands in front of a green screen and details are added in after by computer. That is my understanding although I have no experience in the matter.

Tj

Lol Nemo is a lot quicker in typing than me.
Many thanks, Nemo and Tracy. We'll need a documentary on fast typers next.....
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 02:24 PM   #18
Tracy Ianson
Researcher

Hi Nemo

Thanks for the clarification. So for obvious reasons if someone is stood in front of a green/coloured screen they will not be able to wear green/same coloured clothing? No pressure on the wardrobe dept!

Tracy
Old February 1st, 2011, 03:13 PM   #19
SirRobertAnderson
Researcher / Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Ianson View Post
Hi Nemo
Thanks for the clarification. So for obvious reasons if someone is stood in front of a green/coloured screen they will not be able to wear green/same coloured clothing? No pressure on the wardrobe dept!

Tracy
That's why Paul Begg insisted I be interviewed in the nude. I was puzzled at first but once he explained the science behind it I felt better.
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 03:27 PM   #20
Tracy Ianson
Researcher

That's why Paul Begg insisted I be interviewed in the nude. I was puzzled at first but once he explained the science behind it I felt better.

Hahaha I'm not touching that one.....I know I know - that's what the wardrobe department said as well

Tracy