Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Jack The Ripper : The Definitive Story

Jack The Ripper : The Definitive Story Produced & Directed by Jeff Leahy and written by Paul Begg & John Bennett. The making of the first documentary ever written and produced by Ripperologists.

Old February 1st, 2011, 04:42 PM   #21
Stephen Thomas
Non Compos Mentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
The toilets are very relevant to me because an observer of Kelly's room and doorway may have been at that spot, amongst other theories, so the viewpoint from the toilets is important

Looking at illustrations like this...

Attachment 8894

...I come to the conclusion that the toilets were in the position top left, ie parallel with the buildings in the court - Jake appears to have them at 90 degrees to this, facing Kelly's room
Name:  millers ct goad.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  66.1 KB Name:  millers ct goads 2.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  57.5 KB

Hi Nemo

In my experience Jake is never wrong and these two maps appear to show the 3 toilets backing on to the Sweet Factory and not the side wall.
Stephen Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:21 PM   #22
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

That's excellent Stephen - much appreciated

I know the Goad maps are a primary source for Jake and those confirm that Jake is indeed correct, and the dustbins are represented by that thin line the full length of the wall?

Strange I haven't seen the court represented like that previously

I wonder why the toilets are that funny shape

I think there was an alternative layout when Millers Court was a garden. The buildings appear to be a later addition to the court
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:24 PM   #23
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

PS What is the significance of the thick black lines, near the toilet and around the "confec fac"?
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:27 PM   #24
Jeff Leahy
TV Producer/Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPE View Post
I must respond to this posting.

Jeff, our relationship has been far from trouble free, as witness our past acrimonious exchanges.
Yes this is true. I have been at times single minded...in project. Which has meant at times asking difficult questions....if our differences have caused conflict...I hope you understand from the depth of my heart where I place Paul Begg, Don, Martin, keith and yourself and how our generation of ripperologists see u guys?

Quote:
IBut thank you, anyway, for the kind and gracious remarks in your opening post, these are appreciated. I am no legend, never was, never will be.
Its probably John Bennets inpersonations and there reaction that answers that question.

Quote:
During our past debates, if you recall, I declined on more than one occasion to have anything to do with the documentary you were making, not least of all because I thought that it would present a biased viewpoint.
Its never been a problem. Would it have been a better production with your input? I believe it would have been...but then the elements featuring Philip Hutchinson were left out....control was not entirely mine on these stakes. I would like to address this in the DVD over which I will have control with John and Paul.

Quote:
As for other facetious persons who obviously think of themselves as very clever, I want no sort of exchange with them. They may even consider growing up themselves one day. As for me? I'll never grow up.
Yes there is a little bit of babe face about Stewart Evans....

However I hope that every poster on Casebook and JtRforums considers we need you more than.....well the other way around..

The Definitive Story was a product of the Wolverhampton Conference..

Anyone there (attending) will understand why thanks go to Jeremy Beadle.

But our clashes on so many areas of ripperology have effected the way I think...

To me Paul Begg and Stewart Evans are the Fathers of modern Ripperology. Long may they argue/debate.

Thanks from us all Jeff
Jeff Leahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:28 PM   #25
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Ianson View Post
Hi Nemo

Thanks for the clarification. So for obvious reasons if someone is stood in front of a green/coloured screen they will not be able to wear green/same coloured clothing? No pressure on the wardrobe dept!

Tracy
Yes, if it is the right shade of green on the person you will see the background image through that person - like with Goldie Hawn in "Death becomes Her" (my kids love that film - lol)

I can't remember who it was I saw recently with the background showing through a small isolated spot up the person's nose
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:34 PM   #26
Jeff Leahy
TV Producer/Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
Hi Tracey

The computer generated imagery is actually that which is put on the area of the green screen, which doesn't necessarily have to be green

The green is a masking colour, not present on the person in front of the screen

When processing the video, a computer can easily separate the actor from the stark green colour at the back - and therefore it can place a separate picture or video feed into that part of the picture which is green

The art is to get the perspective correct, of the camera looking at the actor, and the background image behind him

A good example in the documentary is the panning shot across the rear of 29 Hanbury St, the movement of the background image at the rear matching the movement of the camera in the fore

Gollum in Lord of the Rings is a good application of CGI

CGI is taken as referring, in the main, to the Hollywood style graphics in films such as Avatar, but computer games and artwork are also CGI
There are 187 seperate CGi elements in Jack the Ripper the Definitive Story...

Which is why I was up without sleep for another night for the HISTORY DELIVERY last night...

We will make this a program, you all deserve..and have asked for..eventually

Jeff
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:40 PM   #27
Jeff Leahy
TV Producer/Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Not so much a lapse, Chris, as a deliberate decision. This is television, a land where sometimes visual interest and dramatic effect takes precedent over precisian accuracy. We had several writing scenes and had to do something to make them visually different. Giving Swanson a typewriter was one way of doing it.
Yes but we care..we all care
..and we want it to be better..and we are working at that..

All team are back on board and heading in that direction Paul...

Its starting to look like our original idea at long last..

You can re-record for the DVD and I promise to remove the .'Blood lust line'...vomit

Jeff
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:49 PM   #28
Jeff Leahy
TV Producer/Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
Personally, I felt Stewart's comments weren't picky, but did raise valid questions of a few clangers that got through and some others about visuals which were also valid. We knew the parameters we had to work in at the time and did address those concerns (dung and rubbish in the streets for example) with those who brought them up. Hopefully, we were gracious in the way we approached such replies.

Hardly bad form, it's just the way the cookie crumbles. Anything like this will get its detractors and praise and I have certainly learnt a lot from this experience in that respect. It was interesting to see comments by non-Ripperologists on other TV-based forums and many of the critiques covered the same ground as those on Ripper-related ones. As far as 'the makers' are concerned, it is difficult not to defend something you have practically lived with for over a year. Look at how authors rigidly defend their theories in the face of overwhelming criticism. It's human nature.

This above, however, is the sort of thing that is bound to put one on the defensive. What the bins looked like? Which way the toilets were orientated? Inquisitive, certainly, but hey, come on...
I am in complete agreement with John..

Just think of the advice Mei Trow gave ??

We are certainly not above critisism..

However so many of the critisisms so far come down to TIME and MONEY.

and not that the team were unaware of those critisism's?...

Obviously I knew the Goulston Street graffitee was on black brick!!

What would you do if I knocked on your door and said we need to film this sequence this weekend and edit it on Monday morning...SHIT YOURSELF!!

Jeff
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:53 PM   #29
Jeff Leahy
TV Producer/Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Ianson View Post
That's why Paul Begg insisted I be interviewed in the nude. I was puzzled at first but once he explained the science behind it I felt better.

Hahaha I'm not touching that one.....I know I know - that's what the wardrobe department said as well

Tracy
Blimmey you aswell Tracy?

I just thought the old goat was being friendly??
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:57 PM   #30
Tracy Ianson
Researcher

Yes, if it is the right shade of green on the person you will see the background image through that person - like with Goldie Hawn in "Death becomes Her" (my kids love that film - lol)

Doh!! I have always puzzled how they did scenes like that and yet I should have known, it is quite logical.
(Who doesn't love Goldie Hawn!!)

I can't remember who it was I saw recently with the background showing through a small isolated spot up the person's nose

oooh classy!! lol, to be remembered by what was showing up your nose rather than your acting would be a kick in the teeth!!

Tracy
Tracy Ianson is offline   Reply With Quote