Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Jack The Ripper : The Definitive Story

Jack The Ripper : The Definitive Story Produced & Directed by Jeff Leahy and written by Paul Begg & John Bennett. The making of the first documentary ever written and produced by Ripperologists.

Old October 8th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #41
Jeff Leahy
TV Producer/Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I've just noticed this, and I'm afraid that I really don't follow the logic here.

The point Dr. Lars made was that Aaron Kosminski was probably a hebephrenic schizophrenic and that schizophrenics are no more likely to commit acts of violence than anyone else. We all seem to be agreed on this. What he did not say, or I do not recall him saying, is that if a schizophrenic was going to commit an act of violence it would be a hebephrenic schizophrenic.

If he did, or if that is true, then it would weigh in favour of Aaron Kosminski's guilt in so far as he would probably have been suffering from the sort of mental illness most likely to erupt in acts of extreme violence. That, though, hasn't been said, at least as far as I am aware.

Whilst it isn't disputed that very rarely hebephrenic schizophrenics are capable of extreme acts of violence (and in my case it isn't disputed because I don't know whether they are or not), and nobody disputes that the Ripper murders are a very rare type of crime, you cannot logically conclude that the Ripper murders were therefore committed by a hebephrenic schizophrenic. That's a variation on the "all dogs have four legs, my cat has four legs, therefore my cat is a dog" type of reasoning: Jack the Ripper-type murders are very rare, acts of extreme violence by hebephrenic schizophrenics are extremely rare, therefore the Jack the Ripper murders were committed by a hebephrenic schizophrenic.

If the woman seen by Schwartz to have been apparently spontaneously assaulted was Elizabeth Stride and if the man who assaulted her was her murderer, then the apparent spontaneity of the assault and murder could suggest a disorganised killer and that would fit (or possibly suggest) a hebephrenic schizophrenic. I don't know, but there does seem to be a certain circularity to the argument. Perhaps it needs to be more fully and clearly explained.
Ok I understand what your getting at, and there is some truth that my opinions were largely formed around the advice given to me by Laars colleage. It was just that he couldnt do the program and recommended that Laars might be good as they work together.

I'll see what I can find on Hebophrenic Schizophrenia but my understanding is that this is the most potencially dangerous kind...

However as you know I'm very busy up until next weekend.

I'll get back on this.
Yours Jeff
Jeff Leahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #42
Paul

Not a problem, Jeff. Don't worry about it.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #43
Jeff Leahy
TV Producer/Director

By the way did you get the letter? I didnt want to post it through door because of the dogs...Jx
Jeff Leahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #44
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
By the way did you get the letter? I didnt want to post it through door because of the dogs...Jx
Yes, ta. I'll reply.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #45
Garry Wroe
Anencephalic

Quote:
I'll see what I can find on Hebophrenic Schizophrenia but my understanding is that this is the most potencially dangerous kind...
On the contrary, Jeff. It is the paranoid schizophrenic who represents the greatest potential danger to others.
Garry Wroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #46
Garry Wroe
Anencephalic

Quote:
Yet when we look at schizophrenic serial killers there is no evidence I can see that suggests that once removed from the environment they work in that they are dangerous? Does Peter Sutcliff have a record for attacking guards or inmates? No he's completely harmless as Aaron appears to have been because Schizophrenics are NOT dangerous.
Here, I'm afraid, Jeff, you are comparing apples and oranges. Any modern day schizophrenic serialist undergoes a sophisticated treatment regimen upon arrest, including antipsychotic and other powerful drugs. Aaron Kosminski had no such medication. Despite this, however, he exhibited not the slightest hint of dangerousness in almost three decades of incarceration.
Garry Wroe is offline   Reply With Quote