Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Jack The Ripper : The Definitive Story

Jack The Ripper : The Definitive Story Produced & Directed by Jeff Leahy and written by Paul Begg & John Bennett. The making of the first documentary ever written and produced by Ripperologists.

Old May 4th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Jeff Leahy
TV Producer/Director

Default TRACK the RIPPER MOBILE APP

Hi all

Over the last few months BEL Ltd have been working with a Mobile App company called Wilde Knowledge to produce a Jack the Ripper game in conjunction with the London Olympic Games competition.

Demos for that game will shortly be available. We are looking for Ripperologist's to test out the game and give feedback. The game is designed to play on an ipad or iphone at the location, though I would imagine there are people of JtRforums who can do this blindfold in their bedroom.

Please bear in mind that this game is aimed at younger people or people new to the world of Ripper investigation. And please realize that I have had nothing to do with the games clues or conclusions. Only technical stuff.

That said if you'd like to have a go and perhaps go to a launch in London please let me know here and I will be in touch..The new BEL website and Definitive Story DVD will be available inconjunction over the next few days.

Yours Jeff Leahy
Head of Development at BEL Ltd

PS This might also be an opportunity for advertisers, tour companies, Ripper events etc
Jeff Leahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Big Jon
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
Hi all

Over the last few months BEL Ltd have been working with a Mobile App company called Wilde Knowledge to produce a Jack the Ripper game in conjunction with the London Olympic Games competition.

Demos for that game will shortly be available. We are looking for Ripperologist's to test out the game and give feedback. The game is designed to play on an ipad or iphone at the location, though I would imagine there are people of JtRforums who can do this blindfold in their bedroom.

Please bear in mind that this game is aimed at younger people or people new to the world of Ripper investigation. And please realize that I have had nothing to do with the games clues or conclusions. Only technical stuff.

That said if you'd like to have a go and perhaps go to a launch in London please let me know here and I will be in touch..The new BEL website and Definitive Story DVD will be available inconjunction over the next few days.

Yours Jeff Leahy
Head of Development at BEL Ltd

PS This might also be an opportunity for advertisers, tour companies, Ripper events etc
Exciting stuff Jeff!

This bit fascinates me the most: The game is designed to play on an ipad or iphone at the location

Any chance of some more info of this feature?

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

http://www.jlrees.co.uk

Big Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #3
String
innocent bystander & former captionmeister

If you are going to test or use these apps on location and this goes for all these types of apps please have someone with you to watch your back. I heard of a girl getting an iron bar over the head for an iPhone.
String is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:47 AM   #4
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

I wouldn't mind testing what you can do with it if you are not in London

It sounds a good app just for a self-guided tour if it shows what the original locations looked like

Augmented reality is the future!

For those not familiar with such apps, you can point the camera of the phone in any direction and the phone knows what direction it is pointing in, giving it the ability of overlaying desired pictures onto the video image in real time

My friend often uses such an app which will identify and give info on stars etc if you point the phone at them
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 07:23 AM   #5
Jeff Leahy
TV Producer/Director

OK. I'm still to get a down load but it should arrive over the next couple of days. I will send you out copies and see what you all make of it. As i explained I wasnt involved in the game just in supplying some visuals , the music and so fourth.

It is a game designed to play on location and it might be worth passing on your warning to 'Wild Knowledge' so that they can also provide safty information for players, so thanks String

Yours Jeff
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #6
String
innocent bystander & former captionmeister

Yea if you're standing there with a big bright iPad at night at arms length.....
String is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #7
Jeff Leahy
TV Producer/Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by String View Post
Yea if you're standing there with a big bright iPad at night at arms length.....
I'll pass this on. The main aim is the Olympic audience, we dont want to scare anybody off but I think personal safty should be advised and expressed..good point

Yours Jeff
Old June 6th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #8
Jeff Leahy
TV Producer/Director

Default Breaking news

Hi Everyone

I'm just getting breaking news, that the first Olympic Gold medal of the Games has been awarded to the Jack the Ripper Mobile App Game. This is part of a competition launched last december. Links below.

Congratulations to Neil at Wilde Knowledge and BELS Simon Richardson and Jake Luukanen.

http://geobrava.wordpress.com/2012/0...ced-in-london/

http://raceforapps.com/

I've got links where the game can be down loaded.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/track...r/id526677865?

Please pass this on appearsd to have cost 2.99 I might be able to get some freebees if you PM me I'll see what I can do..

We're looking at a release date 21st - 22nd June

THe Definitive Story DVD might be available at the launch Parties, Certainly we are trying to have it available via Amazon from the 1st July and will be taking advanced orders..

OK I'll keep you posted as I get more information through. If some one could pass the info on to Casebook that would be Cool..

And incidently I'm giving a lecture At Dickens World Kent on the 21st Of June

Regarding the Making of Definitive Story, The Mobile App and the True Identity of Jack the Ripper.. What else is there to do in Kent on a Thursday evening

Yours Jeff
Old June 6th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #9
Adam Went
Researcher

Excellent work to everybody involved, what a cool thing.

Every time something like this comes up, I can't help but wonder what JTR or the other Londoners of 1888 would have thought of it all....

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #10
Jeff Leahy
TV Producer/Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Went View Post
Excellent work to everybody involved, what a cool thing.

Every time something like this comes up, I can't help but wonder what JTR or the other Londoners of 1888 would have thought of it all....

Cheers,
Adam.
Not certain on that? But I am pleased that wider recognition of the Historical importance of the subject is now starting to take place.

I dont think it a secret that in previous years the historical significance of the East End has been an embaracement to local councils and the tourist industry.

This is surely recognition that the Olymics are proud of London's History and its dark Victorian past. Lets hope the tour guides have a deserved busy summer.

I think it should be mentioned that Philip Hutchinson had some excellent input making this Mobile App happen and I hope it drives Olympic tourist's to his tours and Richard Jones business this summer

Yours Jeff

PS I've just noticed that there is a request for info on Casebook and for unknown unexplained reason I'm still ban from replying, go figure? But the DVD is due for release on the the 1st of July on Amazon. And the Mobile App release should be the 21st, 22nd of June 2012 with a live release at Dickens world on 21st and further events to be arranged to coinside with the Gold Medal for the App game Track the Ripper. I'd be grateful if someone could pass that message on. I'm also interested in talking with any London based Ripperologists who'd like to be involved for press releases, could be useful for London tours or conferences Yours Jeff