Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Witnesses + Evidence

The Witnesses + Evidence Inquest testimonies and how they have influenced Ripperology...from Albert Cadosch to a cry of "Oh,Murder !"....from the Goulston Street Graffito to those letters from Hell.

Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM   #501
Dusty Miller
just curious

>>If I give a broader view we can see there is no shortage of room if he needed to write the graffiti more to the left.<<

I disagree, to me it looks exactly like he started to write and ran out of space.
I can't remember off hand, did Foster say he actually saw the writing?
Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM   #502
Dusty Miller
just curious

>>Would the same caveat apply to the Warren transcript? I've checked in various books, but I haven't - yet - found a copy of it in its original context on the page.<<

Good point, I don't know, but once again, given his experience with copying the Temple writings and Masonic symbolisms generally, I believe Warren would have have well understood the importance of not just the words, but their placement.
Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM   #503
Wicker Man
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
>>As Jon has said Halse said that it was written in 3 lines. <<

But, of course he didn't say that, he said "about",which is a very odd thing to say and strongly implies he didn't actually remember.
Well, two lines plus a word is "about" three lines.
If you said it was two, you would be missing a word, so even two and a bit is still "about" three.

It ain't two, and it ain't four.
" observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.
Wicker Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM   #504
Dusty Miller
just curious

We have a choice between an ambigous statement and a specific graphic representation of the writing.

In the absence of Foster claiming he saw the writing and copied it exactly which, since his version seems not to be in "good schoolboy round hand" style but rather his own, it isn't, I'm inclined to Warren's version, particularly as it is so specific, not just in layout, but capitalisation as well.
Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM   #505
Wicker Man
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
We have a choice between an ambigous statement and a specific graphic representation of the writing.

In the absence of Foster claiming he saw the writing and copied it exactly which, since his version seems not to be in "good schoolboy round hand" style but rather his own, it isn't, I'm inclined to Warren's version, particularly as it is so specific, not just in layout, but capitalisation as well.
Thats fine, nobody is trying to sell you Fosters version. It was posted here because hardly anyone even knew it existed.
I don't believe it has anything to do with the case, so you stick to what you believe.
" observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.
Wicker Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #506
Dusty Miller
just curious

The differences are interesting and well worth the discussion.
Old Today, 03:09 AM   #507
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicker Man View Post
Thats fine, nobody is trying to sell you Fosters version. It was posted here because hardly anyone even knew it existed.
I don't believe it has anything to do with the case, so you stick to what you believe.
I'm very grateful it was posted, so thank you for that. I'm sure somebody with a handle on the computer wizardry that can enhance such stuff could magic a publishable image, then lots of people could become more aware of it.

Frankly, I'm not really sure whether any of the versions is intended to represent the handwriting, just the wording (in the case of Foster) and the wording, capitalisation, spelling and layout (in the case of Warren).

Anyway, thanks for the Foster image.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:26 AM   #508
Michael Banks

Hi Jon

Is it RichardH (on the Casebook or on here I can't recall) who is doing the computerised reconstruction of Kelly's room? Perhaps he might be the kind of computer wiz that could find a way of emboldening the lettering of Foster's transcript?
Just a thought after reading Paul's comment.

Regards
Michael
Michael Banks is online now   Reply With Quote