Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Community's Collective Wisdom

The Community's Collective Wisdom "Scotland Yard was really no wiser on the subject than it was 15 years ago.."-F.G.Abberline,1903. The question is...are we ?

Old November 24th, 2017, 05:24 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default How To Catch The Murderer ( The People Speak )

South Wales Echo

October 3, 1888

Old November 25th, 2017, 03:32 PM   #2
Anna Morris

There are some interesting thoughts here although they degenerate into nonsense toward the end.

I was surprised to see, offering a pardon to an accomplice, coming up at this date. Maybe I missed something along the way but I always thought this was something that was done after MJK's murder and I assumed, probably wrongly, that it had something to do with a clue the police had.

However that is, I have wondered if this offer to an accomplice could be one of the Elements we have so recently enumerated. I know rewards were offered in other cases such as the Phoenix Park murders but was there ever another instance of reward offered to an accomplice or person with knowledge? Is this an original Element of the JtR phenomenon?
Old November 25th, 2017, 05:19 PM   #3
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Anna:

There's a few articles found in American papers identical to this ( convicts and their opinions).
Old November 25th, 2017, 07:08 PM   #4
Anna Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
Anna:

There's a few articles found in American papers identical to this ( convicts and their opinions).
I have read a bunch of those.

In order to understand how JtR escaped, it was necessary to have intimate knowledge of the East End geography. I think it was easy for him to get away and hide and nearly impossible for anyone to catch him who did not have his knowledge. Just my opinion.
Old November 26th, 2017, 04:07 AM   #5
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Morris View Post
There are some interesting thoughts here although they degenerate into nonsense toward the end.

I was surprised to see, offering a pardon to an accomplice, coming up at this date. Maybe I missed something along the way but I always thought this was something that was done after MJK's murder and I assumed, probably wrongly, that it had something to do with a clue the police had.

However that is, I have wondered if this offer to an accomplice could be one of the Elements we have so recently enumerated. I know rewards were offered in other cases such as the Phoenix Park murders but was there ever another instance of reward offered to an accomplice or person with knowledge? Is this an original Element of the JtR phenomenon?
Anna, a pardon for an accomplice was offered during the investigations in to the 1873 Thames Mystery and also the Harriett Buswell murder the same year. There were other cases too but the practice didn't seem as popular in the 80's.
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote