Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Persons Of Interest or Actual Suspects > James Maybrick

James Maybrick It should really be called the Maybrick Dairy; where else would you expect to find a cash cow being milked?

Old November 16th, 2017, 07:31 PM   #31
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Butler View Post
Feldman may have been guilty of making one and one add up to three and of making some pretty huge assumptions, but I don't think he was guilty of any blatant lies.
That's a fair enough assessment, Paul. But Feldy was like so many people who have become obsessed with the Jack the Ripper case and its side alleys and diversions -- they get so involved that they begin to believe that their theories and pet ideas are the truth.
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 05:35 AM   #32
Paul Butler
Who?

I won't disagree with you there Chris, but there is always the risk of throwing the baby out with the bathwater with Feldman. There are some good things in his book if you read it with a critical eye.
Paul Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 08:12 AM   #33
Caroline Brown
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
Feldman believed that the Diary came from Anne's family, and that she was the descendant of an illegitimate child of James Maybrick. Anne took this ball and ran with it...
Just a minor observation here, Robert. Yes, Feldman was sure he'd be able to prove this, and show that Anne therefore had a legitimate claim to the diary of her ancestor, James. Mike was outraged that Feldman was effectively claiming that the Barretts' daughter Caroline was therefore descended from Jack the Ripper! But Anne didn't run with this particular ball. With her father's help, it was suggested that it was Florence who had the illegitimate child, before she met James, and this child was Anne's ancestor. This is actually how I became involved with co-authoring Ripper Diary in the first place, because I had pointed out on the message boards that the stories Anne and her father came up with were incompatible. How could the diary have come down through Anne's family from a child of either James or Florie, if it was also said to have been given to Granny Formby by Alice Yapp? Was it a case of having two avenues in case one came to a dead end? Keith Skinner was shown my posts and then got in touch because my thinking was along the same lines as his own.

If it's true that Anne and Paul Feldman had a relationship, however brief, it might go some way to explain her behaviour.

Love,

Caz
X
Old November 17th, 2017, 08:57 AM   #34
Caroline Brown
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G. View Post
Looking at this supposed episode realistically, it might have happened. But on the other hand it might have been just a part of the complete fantasy that Paul Feldman made up about the Diary.
But as Robert has indicated, how could this have been a complete fantasy made up by Feldman, when Feldman himself believed it was a complete fantasy made up by electricians on the make?

Thanks to the renewed argument elsewhere that Mike's attempt to obtain a Victorian diary with blank pages can only be explained if he was involved in a modern hoax, I have been thinking this through again in the context of the Mike and the Electricians scenario.

How about this? Mike makes his telephone enquiry - in addition to his calls to Doreen - shortly after being shown the diary, but before it is actually sold to him. Naturally enough, he wants to know how much cash he should offer the electrician before parting with any. He hasn't a clue what the going rate would be for a Victorian diary, or whether having a number of blank pages [like the one he was shown] would affect the price. So he makes his enquiry and waits for a response to the advert placed on his behalf - which comes towards the end of March when a little 1891 diary is sent to him with a bill for 25.

Mike can now meet the electrician and negotiate a price for his diary, saying he has managed to buy one legitimately for only 25. Armed with his new baby he can finally call Doreen again - using his real name this time - to arrange the meeting in London, and this is confirmed in her letter dated April 8th.

Any thoughts, before I wave this under the noses of the terminally sceptical?

Good weekend all.

Love,

Caz
X
Old November 17th, 2017, 12:09 PM   #35
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline Brown View Post
But as Robert has indicated, how could this have been a complete fantasy made up by Feldman, when Feldman himself believed it was a complete fantasy made up by electricians on the make?
Sounds as if I need to re-read Paul Feldman. Dreading the thought while girding my loins.
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 12:43 PM   #36
SirRobertAnderson
Researcher / Senior Moderator

Quote:
But Anne didn't run with this particular ball. With her father's help, it was suggested that it was Florence who had the illegitimate child, before she met James, and this child was Anne's ancestor. This is actually how I became involved with co-authoring Ripper Diary in the first place, because I had pointed out on the message boards that the stories Anne and her father came up with were incompatible. How could the diary have come down through Anne's family from a child of either James or Florie, if it was also said to have been given to Granny Formby by Alice Yapp?
You are right! I misspoke. Anne put her own spin on Feldman's narrative.

Onward through the fog......
SirRobertAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 01:22 PM   #37
Scott Nelson
Schoolyard Bully

Quote:
Any thoughts, before I wave this under the noses of the terminally sceptical?
Makes sense to me.
Scott Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM   #38
Caroline Brown
Author

Thank you Scotty!

You know, the sceptics have their place because they make one think harder about knotty problems like the little red diary, and its place in the diary saga. I knew there had to be an explanation that had bugger all to do with Mike himself creating or helping to create the diary. I now think the answer has been staring us in the face all along.

Mike didn't have money to waste, but when he saw that old book he knew he wanted it, and badly. He didn't have a clue on price, so he found out what a legitimately obtained diary from the 1880s, with a similar number of blank pages, would cost in 1992, and used this as his bargaining tool. And the electrician was just glad to be shot of it. Jack the Ripper be damned.

I don't doubt someone will come up with a million and one objections to this all too straightforward and mundane explanation, so they can keep the theory afloat that Mike was still busy at the end of March 1992 trying to find an old book in which his diary could be penned in time for his appointment in London on April 13th.

We'll see.

Love,

Caz
X
Old Today, 10:06 AM   #39
James Johnston
Filmmaker

Afternoon all,

I think that Caroline has very likely hit the nail on the little red diary head - so to speak.

Unquestionably, those opting for a modern forgery, cling to the maroon diary as evidence of Mike's forgery due to the specifications of his request - especially; '...must have at least twenty blank pages'.

The issue of Bookdealer, which contained Mike's advertisement, went to press on 12th March 1992. So, assuming that Caroline is correct, Mike was wasting no time in obtaining some sort of bargaining tool, before the electrician sold the Diary on elsewhere. Certainly, the word amongst the other electricians from Portus & Rhodes was that "Fat Eddie" wanted shot of the Diary pretty quickly...it would seem that, thanks to Mike, he was able to so.

It is also interesting to note, that three entries below Mike's advertisement, is another advertisment; 'Jones/Lloyd. The Ripper File, Farson. Jack the Ripper.' I haven't yet managed to discuss this with K.S, but it would interesting to know who placed this particular advertisement...

Is it just me, or are the remaining pieces of the saga quite naturally fallng into place?

Aside from that...I think one of the most interesting facets to consider is the relationship between Mike and the electrician.

Robert Smith made a considerable advance for the publication rights to the Diary in June 1992. There is sound reason for believing that Mike was keeping said electrician abreast of these developments.

I'm wondering...does it seem likely that Mike would be keeping our electrician abreast of such developments, and expect him to sit ideally by whilst Mike sat poised to profit from his discovery? If not, then surely there must have been some informal agreement in place between them, at least with respect to the projected royalties?

Just something to mull over.

Best, James
James Johnston is online now   Reply With Quote